S'mores Milk Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajbosley2015

Reaction score
I'm a new brewer, but after trying a few recipes to get me acclimated, I went for the gusto and created my first recipe

I created the following recipe and it makes an exceptional s'mores stout. For those familiar with Highwater's Campfire Stout it is similar in profile, but less inherent sweetness. I hope you all enjoy:

Steeping grains:
1 lbs 8.0 oz Oats, Flaked
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
1 lbs Chocolate Malt
4.0 oz Smoked Malt
2.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt

Boil:
9 lbs Dark LME
2.00 oz Willamette - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz UK Challenger - Boil 30.0 min
0.50 oz Williamette - Boil 20.0 min
1 lb. Lactose - Boil 15.0 min
8 oz. Cacao nibs - Boil 10.0 min
2.00 tsp Cinnamon (powered) (Boil 10.0 mins)
0.5 oz Graham Cracker Top Note (Apex Flavors) - Flameout
0.5 oz Marshmallow Top Note (Apex Flavors) - Flameout
2.0 pkg Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084)

At secondary:
4 oz. Cacao Nibs
1 Medium Toast oak Spiral

3 weeks in secondary

At bottling:
0.5 oz Graham Cracker Top Note
0.5 oz Marshmallow Top Note

Would love to hear your thoughts

I don't get on here often but I just saw this and was curious if the Apex products worked for you.

Looking at the recipe, I'd change a few things. I never use dark extract because if you ever go to all-grain and want to convert a good extract recipe it makes it very difficult. I'd use light extract and some more dark grain. I wouldn't add the Cacao nibs in the boil, it would likely add more bitterness and tannins than you'd want. Also, 2 tsp of cinnamon powder is a lot. I'd probably use a cinnamon stick steeped at flameout for a while. If more cinnamon is needed you can add a stick in secondary.

If you brewed this, how did it turn out? How did the Apex Flavors' products taste and work for you?

I do a s’mores milk stout that I really like, it’s all grain. If you haven’t brewed it yet here are some suggestion to your grains and flavoring. I would suggest switching to 2 lbs of flaked wheat or flaked barley. You’re going to be picking up oils from the nibs and the flavoring so by using oats, you’ll get zero head retention, which for me is a bugaboo and ruins the overall presentation of a beer. For your flavorings, as stated previously, leave the cocoa nibs for post fermentation. The boil and the fermentation are going to volitize most of the aroma from earlier additions. Let the cocoa Nibs sit for 3-5 days. I found if you leave them longer you get a nutter chocolate profile which I do not care for. Also definitely add your marshmallow & gram cracker flavoring at kegging or bottling. Add an 1oz of each at first l and taste it. Then continue adding 0.5-1 oz as needed. Good luck

I do a s’mores milk stout that I really like, it’s all grain. If you haven’t brewed it yet here are some suggestion to your grains and flavoring. I would suggest switching to 2 lbs of flaked wheat or flaked barley. You’re going to be picking up oils from the nibs and the flavoring so by using oats, you’ll get zero head retention, which for me is a bugaboo and ruins the overall presentation of a beer. For your flavorings, as stated previously, leave the cocoa nibs for post fermentation. The boil and the fermentation are going to volitize most of the aroma from earlier additions. Let the cocoa Nibs sit for 3-5 days. I found if you leave them longer you get a nutter chocolate profile which I do not care for. Also definitely add your marshmallow & gram cracker flavoring at kegging or bottling. Add an 1oz of each at first l and taste it. Then continue adding 0.5-1 oz as needed. Good luck

Thought it was necessary to point out that this brew was the second time I have done this recipe as listed and have done it twice since. Flavor, color, and head retention are outstanding. While I appreciate the feedback, I didn’t necessarily need any suggestions as I have perfected this brew. The cacao flavor is much better when adding the bibs to the boil, the cinnamon is on point, 100 percent, and I get a nice 1-1.5 inches of head, around 12-15 minute retention, and lacing all the way to the bottom of the glass no matter what it’s poured in (haven’t tried nucleated but I think that would ruin it)

At any rate, I encourage you all to try it as listed and see if you also enjoy it

Thought it was necessary to point out that this brew was the second time I have done this recipe as listed and have done it twice since. Flavor, color, and head retention are outstanding. While I appreciate the feedback, I didn’t necessarily need any suggestions as I have perfected this brew. The cacao flavor is much better when adding the bibs to the boil, the cinnamon is on point, 100 percent, and I get a nice 1-1.5 inches of head, around 12-15 minute retention, and lacing all the way to the bottom of the glass no matter what it’s poured in (haven’t tried nucleated but I think that would ruin it)

At any rate, I encourage you all to try it as listed and see if you also enjoy it
If you didn’t want suggestions why did you close with, “let me know what you’ll think” ? Lol

Anyway That’s good. Being new to brewing and perfecting a beer after 3 attempts. Congrats. Just wait til you go all grain and have full control and see how much better your beer will come out with the mouthfeel

Will still disagree with you that cocoa nibs are better in boil. But if you’re happy with your brew that’s all that matte. Congrats and cheers

If you didn’t want suggestions why did you close with, “let me know what you’ll think” ? Lol

Because I was posting a recipe for others to replicate and offer their thoughts...but to each his own

Back