Smooth (Creamy) Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarnsleyBrewer

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers.

Quick questions,

Has anyone made a 'Smooth or Creamy' bitter?

If so, What equipment/ingredients is needed?

Is their an extract kit what i could use? Like a creamflow? :/

Or do you need to do a certain something.

Id like to try something similar to a British John Smiths Smooth.

Thanks

try something like a cream ale. or if you keg your beer, try carbonating your next bitter with 'beer gas' (a mix of co2 and no2), that'll give it that smooth, nitro can type taste that stuff like boddington's bitter and old speckled hen have.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
try something like a cream ale. or if you keg your beer, try carbonating your next bitter with 'beer gas' (a mix of co2 and no2), that'll give it that smooth, nitro can type taste that stuff like boddington's bitter and old speckled hen have.

Excellent, would like something similar to boddingtons.

Cheers for the help buddy.

Excellent, would like something similar to boddingtons.

Cheers for the help buddy.

cream ale might be the way to go then. i've always thought boddington's was more of a cream ale than a ordinary bitter, and i know the no2 can plays a big role in this. i've heard great things about Midwest Supply's Liberty Cream Ale, that might be a way to go.
as far as the beer gas idea, we've been brewing a northern english brown that we're thinking of kegging on beer gas next time to make it a bit more like an authentic english cask ale. i think that'd be a great idea if you're looking for something like a boddington's type bitter.

:mug:

i just noticed that you're in the UK, so you get to taste a lot of these bitters that we only get in cans/bottles here in the states, in their true cask form. that's a great reference point for what you're trying to get out of your beer. i'd say you're quite lucky in that respect!

:mug: cheers and happy brewing!

Back