Smoking meat of the Jalepeno (aka Chipotle)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got a garden with tons of jalapenos. I let some of them go red, then smoke them. Smoked red jalepeno = chipotle. Next stop, chipotle hot sauce. Watch this space.
1677115164256.png

I've got a garden with tons of jalapenos. I let some of them go red, then smoke them. Smoked red jalepeno = chipotle. Next stop, chipotle hot sauce. Watch this space.
View attachment 813305
Nice, now do they have to be red to become Chipotle?
I usually end up with as many red jalapenos. If I don't use them fresh they get tossed.
Could you halve some (lengthwise) before putting in the smoker to get deeper smoke penetration, or would they dry out too much?

Haha, I'm no expert. I don't have any answers to your questions that you should believe. But a chipotle is typically a ripe jalapeno, and they are red when ripe.
Regarding halving, that would probably make them more smokey. I'm making hot sauce, not dried chipotle peppers, so I didn't do that. Still, I would not do that if I was drying them out. I'd leave them whole.

I usually end up with as many red jalapenos. If I don't use them fresh they get tossed.
Could you halve some (lengthwise) before putting in the smoker to get deeper smoke penetration, or would they dry out too much?
Cut off the ends before you drop them on the smoker.I did 180f for about 20 hours. Mine came out nice and dry and a lovely smoke flavor. Adds a nice heat and smoke flavor to whatever I use them in.

You should try making cowboy candy with your green jalapeños. Just basic fridge pickles with vinegar and sugar but we love them enough to can for the winter. They are delicious.

I've been making Chipotles for 30 years. You want to wait till they're red because if you smoke them while green they're bitter as hell. As was said, also cut off the stems to reduce bitterness . You can cut them in half and they'll get smokier, and you can gut them and they'll not be as hot. There are a lot of variations.

We don’t have Chipotle where I live. Could you please tell me what this sauce is served on or what it seasons?

We don’t have Chipotle where I live. Could you please tell me what this sauce is served on or what it seasons?
They are commonly used in Mexican and Tex-Mex cuisine. They’re usually found in Adobo sauce. I dry mine to crispy so I can keep them on a shelf without a problem. They add some heat and impart a smoky flavor. I have used them in braised meats and anything else I would like to impart a smoky flavor and some heat too. I have also ground them up and put them on steaks or chops as part of a seasoning.

Maybe this year I will smoke some and make hot sauce like the OP did.

I've got a glut of aji limon, aji mochero and locoto peppers and will smoke them this weekend I think. Did a few last year but not enough

They are commonly used in Mexican and Tex-Mex cuisine. They’re usually found in Adobo sauce. I dry mine to crispy so I can keep them on a shelf without a problem. They add some heat and impart a smoky flavor. I have used them in braised meats and anything else I would like to impart a smoky flavor and some heat too. I have also ground them up and put them on steaks or chops as part of a seasoning.

Maybe this year I will smoke some and make hot sauce like the OP did.
Thank you so much

Latest posts

Back