Smoked Oysters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Nothing earth-shattering here, but I love smoked oysters and oddly that part of the shelf at the store was empty. But, they did have these boiled oysters.

So, I got the latter and smoked them and put in jars of oil. Man are they tastey! More plump than the tinies you get in the can.

I was deep-frying this weekend and put a couple of those oysters in the batter and dropped in the deep fryer - that was delish too. I'm gonna do that again with a bunch of them and make an oyster po boy sandwich with tartar.

1642462170342.png

1642462201750.png

1642462233579.png

1642462261724.png

Looks pretty good, never had oysters in a can. I've always shucked them and ate raw or fried or whatever, just had 2 bushels over new years that my uncle harvested and brought to a family gathering. I'm gonna have to look for these canned ones and give them a go.

Yea, I sorta have to use that tube. The Traeger pellet smoker should be renamed the Traeger pellet oven... does not produce enough smoke.
Exactly same thing I say about these pellet grills they are ovens with a hint of smoke. Even the dedicated upright pellet smokers don't even do it right. Pellets don't replicate actual wood smoke.

Those oysters look great. Always thought about trying it with canned ones. What kind of oil did you use.

Exactly same thing I say about these pellet grills they are ovens with a hint of smoke. Even the dedicated upright pellet smokers don't even do it right. Pellets don't replicate actual wood smoke.

Those oysters look great. Always thought about trying it with canned ones. What kind of oil did you use.

I just used vegetable oil. The ones that come in a tin use cottonseed oil, but veggie and olive were the only stuff I had on hand.

Back