Smokey stout recipe ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldies

Reaction score
Hey fellas. Im trying to throw together a stout with a slight smoke hint to it. let me know what you think.

10 lbs English 2-Row
1 lb Roasted barley
.25 lb black malt
1 lb English crystal 150 (if I can find it)
1.5 oz Peat malt

.75 oz challenger 60 min
.50 oz first gold 15 min

mash at 153

WLP028 Edinburgh

I'm not sure about the black malt and thinking of maybe taking it out all together or possibly subbing it for some english chocolate. Also I have brewed with Peat before (Many times actually) and I am 1 of the 100 that really likes it.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Peat smoked malt is strong. So you don't need a whole lot to get flavor. A lot of recipes I've seen have about .25 lbs for a more moderate presence and up to 1lb for a really quite strong flavor, so it looks like you are on the right track. But it is a very different beast than regular beechwood smoked malts. If you go with that use .5-1lb or so to give it a bit of smokiness.

As an aside (which may be personal preference), I would bump the crystal malt up a bit to give a bit more body and flavor, especially since you have 1lb of roasted barley.

As an aside (which may be personal preference), I would bump the crystal malt up a bit to give a bit more body and flavor, especially since you have 1lb of roasted barley.

Bump it to .5 lb or up to 1 lb. ? Thanks for the feedback too. As mentioned i'm still on the fence about the black patent as well.

I personally like to add 1lb of crystal to most of my brews. I've never used Crystal 150 though, so can't say how that would go. It seems like 1 lb would fit nicely for a stout though.

As far as the black patent: some people hate the dry roastiness, almost ashy character, but I love it and have used anywhere from 4 to 12oz in a stout. It looks like you have a just fine roasted malt schedule.

Thanks again. I have a American Stout on tap right now that I used 1 lb of black patent in it and I enjoy it, so I feel you on loving it. Alright I will try it with 1 lb of the crystal.

Resurrecting the thread...I was just in Ireland and saw peat turf fires, etc. I got to wondering whether peat fires were used in the early days for brewing.

Since then, I've been kicking around the idea of doing something along the lines of a peat-smoked dry Irish stout. How did yours turn out? How much peat-smoked malt did you end up using?

Back