Smoked Strawberry/Rhubarb Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew Ault

MMMalt House
Reaction score
Hello, first time posting...long time lurker.

This recipe has been stewing for a while in my mind and I’m ready to make the plunge, but first I am curious to hear what others think...

5# Munich (10L)
2.5# White Wheat
1# Unmalted Wheat
.3# Acid Malt
.5 CherryWood Smoked Malt

1lb Rhubarb (Diced and boiled @ 10 minutes
4lb Strawberry (Frozen, Mashed up, Strained) Kegged on top of

1oz Styrian Goldings 60 min.
1oz Hallertau 15 min
1oz Belma Dry Hop 5 days

Primary: French Saison

My thinking with the Munich is more of a malt backbone to support the tartness of the rhubarb and the unmalted wheat because I would like to provide something for Brett Lambicus to chew on in Secondary. I will mash out to halt enzyme activity then add the unmalted wheat.

Has anyone any experience with something similar? Any feedback on the receipe?

I make a rhubarb beer using juice from frozen then thawed, uncooked rhubarb at the rate of .5 up to 1 lb. stalks to 1 gal finished beer. I add the juice to secondary. I don't have to fight the fiber, but get the flavor. The high rate beer is quite tart. The amount of strawberries I would increase.

I made a strawberry rhubarb wheat last summer, and think your choice of Belma hops is good. I used that, a little at 60 and the rest at flameout. The rhubarb flavor dominated my beer (by design) but I think the Belma helped bring out some of the strawberry flavor and definitely added some aroma. I used 2.25lbs total fruit for 2.25G batch 60/40 rhubarb/strawberry. I froze the fruit, thawed, mushed it up, added some vodka, let sit in fridge few days and added the whole lot to primary. One of my most favorite beers.

My experience with strawberries says to add them at the tail end of fermentation and let them sit for 1-2 weeks. I kegged on them once and got some unexpected off flavors that I suspect came from the fruit. If I remember correctly it was something like a heavy sulfite type of flavor. Letting them ferment at the end of primary allows those flavors to get scrubbed out. I had the same problem when I attempted a strawberry wine that I bottled too early.

Back