Smoked mead; how much peat is too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quaternio

Reaction score
I wanted to make a smoked mead, or a smoked "braggot" technically. I ordered specialty malts and champagne yeast to do it. I'll have 2 lbs. of smoked and far too much peated malt. My question is, how much peated malt is too much? I really love highly smoked beers like Schlenkerla Rauchbier, so I would be happy with a lot of smoke, but I know I have more than I need (I bought 3 lbs!, accidentally really). Anybody have any suggestions? Generally, beer recipes with peated malt seem to be about 0.6 lbs at the max, and that is really high, too; normal amounts normally float around 1 oz. All that said, I haven't heard of a smoked mead, so I don't know if anyone has any experience with this....

NO PEATED MALT!!! NONE!!!

If you love a good Rauchbier, that's rauchmalt, NOT THE SAME THING OR IN ANY WAY SUBSTITABLE FOR WITH PEAT-SMOKED MALT!

Peated malt is harsh and acrid, OK in a smoked porter but that's about it (and usually 2-4 ounces). Rauchmalt is smooth and warm and wonderful. I have no idea whether it'll work in a mead, but I do know you want nothing to do with peated malt in there.

Leave out the peat-smoked. I really don't think the flavors in mead can handle the competition. If you must, I would wait until the braggot is done, then boil up a tea from an ounce the peat-smoked and add it a little at a time.

This does sound interesting, I'll bet mesquite honey would go really well in this. I'm curious to hear how it turns out too. Regards, GF.

Latest posts

Back