Smoked malt? What style?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmfa200

Reaction score
I have some smoked malt but don't know what styles it would be good in, other than porter.
Can anyone name some other styles smoked malt goes good in?

What kind of smoked malt is it?

Generally, smoked malts work very well in clean, malt-forward beers, i.e. lagers and ales without excessive esters and phenols.

i put 1 lb of peated in my barleywine and a scotch 70...

i'd be totally comfortable using it in any english ale as well.

Any other ale styles? Not set up to do lagers right now.

I like Scottish ales a lot, but it would take forever to go through five gallons of barley wine, and don't want to tie up one of my kegs for such a long time.

Weyermann Smoked Malt

That's my favorite. If you don't like porters, I'd try a European amber ale, like an Alt or ale-fermented Oktoberfest. Should also work well in most brown ales and dark milds.

I recently made a smoked apple ale from a recipe given to me on another message board. It's made with smoked malt and has some apple cider added to the primary. It has only been in bottles about a week and a half, so it's still a bit "green", but I think this is going to become a regular brew of mine. It is very interesting. It's got the smokiness and maltiness up front, with a crisp apple finish. I was trying this out thinking it would be a good fall/winter brew, but now that I tasted it I really think it will be good for any time. Let me know if you would like the recipe.

Latest posts

Back