Smoked Malt in a Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Challenger440

Reaction score
7lbs 8oz 2-Row
2lbs 7oz Munich Malt
12oz Roasted Barley
10oz Chocolate Malt
6oz Smoked Malt
1.8oz Perle 7.5% @ 60min
1.6oz Williamette 5.5% @ 5min

Mash @156f for 60min

1.062 SG
1.018 FG
55 IBU
34 SRM
EST ABV 5.8%

This is a recipe for a stout that is intended to be oaked and I am thinking of brewing it without oaking it. I have made this once but I oaked it, but going into the secondary before oaking I thought it was outstanding.

My question is do you think the smoked malt will become too powerful without the oak presence?

I guess I could follow up by asking does anyone have any experience with smoked malt in a stout?

I used 4oz of peated malt in a 1.071 OG stout and got very, very little out of it. I'll double the amount next time.

That said, Rauchmalt and Peated malt are different.. What type of smoked malt are you using?

Never used it in a stout but I have in a porter. The porter was low hopped and wasn't roasty.

I think it will be a bit of a strange flavor with the smoke, roast and hop bitterness together. I think it might be too charcoal-y. However, others might have experience and more useful observations.

Back