Stout with peanut butter and molasses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
Looking to add some sweetness and Abv/fermentables from the molasses and Id like some peanut butter taste but nothing overpowering. This stout also gets a barrel ageing process with bourbon soaked oak cubes and sits for 9-12 months on those. So first. How or what is the preference for the pb addition and when and also how much molasses and when, thinking of like 1/2# at 15 min left in boil. Here’s the grainbill. Yeast is wlp090. OG of 1.132 without the molasses addition. Shooting for a FG around 1.040. I’d like it to be thick like a bcbs.

16lb 4oz Marris otter
1lb 8oz roasted barley
1lb 8oz choc malt
1lb midnight wheat
1lb flaked oats
1lb special b
12oz c120
4lbs light dme in the boil at 15 min

Had to look into the molasses addition because I figured it would ferment out like most sugars but I guess not completely?

From- https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/5-sugar-adjuncts-to-include-in-your-brew/

"Molasses is a byproduct of the sugar refining process and has been the source of fermentables in beer for quite some time. Just take a look at George Washington’s infamous “small beer” recipe, which uses molasses in place of malt altogether.

It comes in colors ranging from light to dark, depending on when the molasses was collected during production. All molasses tends to have strong flavor and aroma, but generally the darker the molasses the bolder the characteristics. Avoid molasses that has been sulfured, and always do a taste test before using it in a beer. If there are prominent metallic notes, continue the search.

Molasses is usually added during boil, but be sure to not to let it scorch. Start with small quantities as not to overpower other flavor components of the beer. Generally, lighter molasses will add subtle complexity, while the darker types are much richer and full flavored. Avoid dark molasses in lighter beers as it can overpower the beer’s overall flavor profile and add a lot of dark color."

As far as the peanut butter addition, I've seen success with powered peanut butter but have no personal experience with it in brewing.

The bit about "metallic" rings the bell, I've read of that character here too often to risk anything important/expensive on using molasses in a brew - as much as I love molasses...

Cheers!

I've added 2oz dark molasses to a 2.25G pumpkin ale. Put in with 10 mins left in the boil. Hard to say for sure what it added to the flavor as there are also spices added to the boil and baked canned pumpkin added to the mash, but the overall flavor to me is very nice.

Think along the lines of brown sugar or ginger snaps flavor wise.
Iirc, molasses is what they extract from brown sugar along the process of making white sugar.
Honestly in order to not ruin the beer, I'd make the stout without any additions and when all done, taste it to see if you like it.
Then, mix in a peanut butter extract to taste.
Then, after doing that, if you still feel that it lacks complexity, decide how many gravity points you want to add to FG (need to research *how* fermentable your molasses is). If you really want to be sciencey you could do a fast ferment test on the molasses with your yeast. Otherwise I'd assume 60/40 for the dark stuff (fermentable to unfermentable).
Add it to a quart of your beer, boil it to dissolve then add back into the fermenter (by gentle siphon). Fermentation would then resume and check back in a few days for final tasting before packaging.

Think along the lines of brown sugar or ginger snaps flavor wise.
Iirc, molasses is what they extract from brown sugar along the process of making white sugar.
Honestly in order to not ruin the beer, I'd make the stout without any additions and when all done, taste it to see if you like it.
Then, mix in a peanut butter extract to taste.
Then, after doing that, if you still feel that it lacks complexity, decide how many gravity points you want to add to FG (need to research *how* fermentable your molasses is). If you really want to be sciencey you could do a fast ferment test on the molasses with your yeast. Otherwise I'd assume 60/40 for the dark stuff (fermentable to unfermentable).
Add it to a quart of your beer, boil it to dissolve then add back into the fermenter (by gentle siphon). Fermentation would then resume and check back in a few days for final tasting before packaging.

thanks. I think after all this I’ll leave the molasses out. The stout itself is very bcbs in vein so it’s thick and sweet and syrupy on its own so molasses prob won’t really add anything.

No Hops ??
You'll need enough to balance the beer out.

I routinely use molassas in most of my stouts, always in a RIS and Old Ale. I don't have a problem with the flavor contributions. I've also used Jaggery(dry date palm molasses) as well. As far as brand, I prefer Slow As Molasses, and order it on Amazon and get the little quart jugs. With an OG of 1.132, you are going to have a tough job for the yeast to start, so additional fermentables will compound the problem. Use less grain if you want to use the molasses. I add it at the beginning of the boil. Slowly drizzle it into the kettle so that it has time to dissolve in the boil before it hits the bottom of the kettle, if you want to use it. A half a pound isn't much, I've used as much as nine pounds in a ten gallon batch and have been able to get the beer to finish where I want it to. 13-15% and higher. A half a pound won't add much, both flavor wise and gravity wise in a beer that big.

Forget about the peanut butter. I don't feel that it belongs in beer.! But if you do decide to use it sometime, most folks use PB2, dried peanut butter flavoring. Regular peanut butter has too much oil in it and will kill head formation/retention.

Be careful with the oak addition, too much can be highly undesirable and will basically never go away, (been there, done that) and the only solution is to blend it down with a similar beer. Add the bourbon and the cubes to the finished beer.

Consider mashing at 155-158 to keep the body up in your beer.

As to your yeast selection, WLP090 can do the job, just make sure that you have enough for a beer that big. Either build up a big starter, or brew a small beer like and English Mild and use it's yeast cake for your big beer. Personally, I'll use two yeasts on a beer that big. I'll brew a "starter beer" such as an English Mild or a an English Bitter, using WLP002 or WLP007 and use the yeast cake from it to get the flavor contributions from the yeast, and then on day three I'll add in a large starter at high krausen of WLP090 to insure that the beer is able to finish where I want it to. This process works for me, just adding ideas from experience.

You mentioned that you were shooting for a FG of 1.040, that's going to syrupy sweet, you might want to reconsider that goal.

Lots of ways to do things, it's your beer.

Good Luck.

Looking to add some sweetness and Abv/fermentables from the molasses and Id like some peanut butter taste but nothing overpowering. This stout also gets a barrel ageing process with bourbon soaked oak cubes and sits for 9-12 months on those. So first. How or what is the preference for the pb addition and when and also how much molasses and when, thinking of like 1/2# at 15 min left in boil. Here’s the grainbill. Yeast is wlp090. OG of 1.132 without the molasses addition. Shooting for a FG around 1.040. I’d like it to be thick like a bcbs.

16lb 4oz Marris otter
1lb 8oz roasted barley
1lb 8oz choc malt
1lb midnight wheat
1lb flaked oats
1lb special b
12oz c120
4lbs light dme in the boil at 15 min

Regarding peanut butter flavouring, I recommend natural peanut butter flavouring rather than PB2. I've used both and will never go back to PB2. It leaves very little peanut butter flavour, so you need a LOT to make a little difference. It also ends up as a HUGE amount of trub at the bottom of your fermenter. The flavouring is perfect, and imparts a nice peanut butter flavour. Another advantage is that you can add it after kegging and leaves no trub. You can add enough to suit your taste.

Back