smoked malt and french saison yeast...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was toying with this idea earlier whilst working by my beloved wood-burning-biatch oven.
I think that in order for the smoke to stay pleasant I would go for fairly neutral pH. Sometime high levels of acid can lead to gross phenols. The other thing that concerned me along these same lines is that 3711 (I assume that's what we're talking about?) already produces a spicy flavor that sometimes is described as phenolic. Maybe it is phenolic, I don't know.
I think the solution would be to use some Maris Otter and Cara20 to create some sweet roasty flavors to compliment the smoke and the spice and perhaps lean towards the sweeter more citrusy hops and limit bitterness.
Just by typing this, I am now determined to do it.
I'll brew it up Sunday and we can document how awesome and/or terrible it becomes. Worse comes to worst it will make awesome vinegar.

I'm intrigued by how the smoke and peppery/spicy attributes of 3711 play out.

i'm looking at something like this:
7# two row
3# Vienna
2# cherrywood smoked malt
1oz. Ahtanum for bittering and ferment with 3711 French Saison yeast

I think two pounds of smoked malt is going to be fairly pervasive. I just did back to back 5 gallon batches of a scotch ale with a similar grain bill upping to 1.5 lbs of smoked malt from 1 lb in the first batch. 1lb was very subtle. 1.5 was very pleasantly smokey.
I acknowledge that these are different styles, but 2 lbs of smoked malt might give you very strong phenols. In this case it might behoove us to err on the side if caution.

i did a smoked amber with 3 pounds of smoked malt (alderwood, oak and cherrywood) and the smoke profile was still subtle. however, it was a little bigger. i'll be doing a pumpkin saison here in the next few months, and i'll piggyback this on that order. i'll keep you updated on how this turns out. should be pretty cool.

not yet. i'm going to do a pumpkin smoked saison, and instead of using regular wheat i'm going to use oat smoked wheat. i'm still going to use WY3711. once i get it rolling, i'll post some photos. i'm excited to brew this!

brewed this a few weeks back and it was...disappointing. The smoked wheat didn't really come through at all. In fact, the beer had a very "green" taste to it. So I decided to rack it onto 2 pounds of blueberries.

Back