Smoked ice cubes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boilinginsc

Consumer of beer and spirits
Reaction score
if you enjoy Bourbon or Scotch this is great! I filled a bowl with ice cubes and smoked them until they had all melted. I then poured that water into the large cube ice trays.
It enhanced the taste quite well, I was using hickory on some kabobs but will do again with oak I think.

if you enjoy Bourbon or Scotch this is great! I filled a bowl with ice cubes and smoked them until they had all melted. I then poured that water into the large cube ice trays.
It enhanced the taste quite well, I was using hickory on some kabobs but will do again with oak I think.
That's sounds great!

In a similar idea, I've cold smoked a beef pot roast, for two hours, fat side up over a baking pan filled with a few cups of water. Then added both beef and smoked water to a crock pot covered with potatoes onions and carrots. It turned out pretty good.

The thing I smoke more than anything else is barley. Ice cubes may have to be a thing at home.

Just remembered I did this with cheese once before. If you can't cold smoke you use a tray full of ice below the blocks of cheeses. I tossed the water didn't think of freezing them.

I always salt brine my chicken overnight before smoking it, I tried it with a pork butt and it was pretty juicy after smoking! I’m going to try the cheese next thank you!

Haha, I thought this was a joke. But I love the idea. Smoked 3 buts and a brisket on saturday, wish I saw this then.
Smoking wet rocks glasses upside down work too. So.....

Smoked whisky neat/pseuo-meat... Smoked rocks glasses.

Smoked whisky on the the rocks....Smoked ice cubes.

Smoked ice cubes in a Bloody Mary sounds really good too.

Next Saturday drink schedule.

6:45 AM - Fill Traeger with mesquite pellets...and set to smoke.

7:00 AM. - Smoked brewing water for making coffee and ice cubes for late....eat some hickory smoked bacon and a smoked hardboiled egg.

8:00 AM. - Smokey Bloody Mary made with smoked ice cubes and Famous Dave's Devil's Spit BBQ sauce and vodka.

8:15AM start the briscut....

10:00 AM chill the Schlenkerla and make another Devil's Spit.

12:00 PM drink Schlenkerla, check briscut

2:00 PM drink water and alka-seltzer and nap.

4:00 PM more Schlenkerla

6:00 PM more Schlenkerla, check briscut

8:00 PM whisky on smoked rocks.

10:00 PM whisky neat/pseudo meat

10:05 PM oh yeah check the briscut and add pellets.

12:00 AM drink water and alka-seltzer and nap.

4:00 AM put some sample briscut on buttermilk biscuit, little devil spit sauce, topped with a sunny side up fried egg. While drinking a Schlenkerla.

Damn...[emoji481]

I've done this. It's pretty amazing. But, a word of warning: if you don't drink your bourbon/scotch/etc quickly and the entire large ice cube/sphere melts, it become almost too smokey. Maybe it's because I use the large ice spheres that take up like 1/2 of my whiskey glass, but the one drink I had that I got interrupted during and came back 45 minutes later tasted like drinking liquid smoke with alcohol.

Couldn't you get a similar effect by bubbling smoke through water, and then freezing the water? Saves freezing the water in the first place.

Couldn't you get a similar effect by bubbling smoke through water, and then freezing the water? Saves freezing the water in the first place.
I have an ice cube tray in my freezer that gets filled by the automatic ice maker. Many refrigerators in America come with that feature. Why not just use the ice? Also, cold and wet absorbs smoke better than just wet, so the ice, theoretically, should absorb the most smoke.

I have an ice cube tray in my freezer that gets filled by the automatic ice maker. Many refrigerators in America come with that feature. Why not just use the ice? Also, cold and wet absorbs smoke better than just wet, so the ice, theoretically, should absorb the most smoke.

With ice cubes, the smoke can only interact with the surface, with liquid water the whole volume is accessible.

Gases like CO2 dissolve better in cold. But many of the "smoke" compounds are liquid or solid, which dissolve better in warm.

The explanation I was given is that the ice melting provides more surface area to gather the smoke than just the surface of water in a bowl.
It worked almost to well, see post #7, I’m thinking I’ll try it on a cold smoke once and play around with how long it’s in the smoker.

With ice cubes, the smoke can only interact with the surface, with liquid water the whole volume is accessible.

Gases like CO2 dissolve better in cold. But many of the "smoke" compounds are liquid or solid, which dissolve better in warm.
If you're cold smoking (using a smoke gun), then yes, that seems right. But I do it at 180°F, so as the ice melts, the newly exposed water absorbs the smoke, and on it goes til i pull it out.

The explanation I was given is that the ice melting provides more surface area to gather the smoke than just the surface of water in a bowl.
It worked almost to well, see post #7, I’m thinking I’ll try it on a cold smoke once and play around with how long it’s in the smoker.
Another option too cold smoke, is use pellets and a can.

I fill a can full of pellets, then light them with a blow torch. It smokes at about 90 - 100F when it's about 70F outside.

I usually use a can opener to open up the bottom so it breathes...

This is my preferred cold smoking method.

This is what I used for cold smoking.

1)A clean empty tin can.
2)A triangle pronged can opener to open up the bottom.
3)Apple pellets.
4) A High temp Bernzomatic torch.

Fill it, light it for a minute or so, then let it burn. I usually blow out the flame too after I'm sure it's lit.

It smokes like fricking crazy. See the pic of the smoker... The smoke is very thick. It will smoke about 1.5 hours in a 14 oz bean can.

This is taken from my grain smoking thread.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/index.php?posts/8121409

tapatalk_1535581544787.jpeg
tapatalk_1535581553416.jpeg
tapatalk_1535581562988.jpeg
tapatalk_1535581573696.jpeg
tapatalk_1535581497672.jpeg

Last edited:
If you want to capitalize on the smoke, install a fireplace door gasket on that door! ($8 roughly) it forces all the smoke out the top, cutting down on wood and holding temp better.
I’m a wood fire smoker!
I am going to try that pellet burner idea! Thank you!

If you want to capitalize on the smoke, install a fireplace door gasket on that door! ($8 roughly) it forces all the smoke out the top, cutting down on wood and holding temp better.
I’m a wood fire smoker!
I am going to try that pellet burner idea! Thank you!
Good idea. I need to find a place that sells the gasket material. I'm not sure how I'd attach it though. That smoke is so thick it forces itself out the door, the vent itself was billowing so much smoke. It doesn't usually leak out the door that much from what I can tell when I use wet wood chips.

FWIW - I have two smokers; a gas Charbroil that uses wood chips, pistachio shells, and peanut shells and whatever I want to throw in the smoker bowl, the other is a Traeger (Electric pellet machine). I smoke usually with the Charbroil because I have a lot of wood types. I bought the Traeger when my grill bit the dust. I can smoke with pellets or grill with pellets. It's also temp controlled since its electric.

You're welcome! You'll have to post here how that works on your ice and cheese.

[emoji481] [emoji481]

Good idea. I need to find a place that sells the gasket material. I'm not sure how I'd attach it though. That smoke is so thick it forces itself out the door, the vent itself was billowing so much smoke. It doesn't usually leak out the door that much from what I can tell when I use wet wood chips.

FWIW - I have two smokers; a gas Charbroil that uses wood chips, pistachio shells, and peanut shells and whatever I want to throw in the smoker bowl, the other is a Traeger (Electric pellet machine). I smoke usually with the Charbroil because I have a lot of wood types. I bought the Traeger when my grill bit the dust. I can smoke with pellets or grill with pellets. It's also temp controlled since its electric.

You're welcome! You'll have to post here how that works on your ice and cheese.

[emoji481] [emoji481]
I used a big green egg replacement gasket on my traeger. Nomex material, I believe it's called. You can get them pretty easily. Once I added the washers to the hinges so it sat flat, it decreased the smoke seepage by probably 75%.

I have one of these

http://www.landmann-usa.com/smokers

It’s very old though, I don’t know if landmann owned them when I bought it. I removed the gas burner and box off it at some point and use a bowl for charcoal and wood. I’m about due to install the propane again though for a change up.

I’m still going to try that pellet idea though! Interesting twist on it!

I have one of these

http://www.landmann-usa.com/smokers

It’s very old though, I don’t know if landmann owned them when I bought it. I removed the gas burner and box off it at some point and use a bowl for charcoal and wood. I’m about due to install the propane again though for a change up.

I’m still going to try that pellet idea though! Interesting twist on it!
I have two bullet smokers that use charcoal. They are in storage. I liked the gas over charcoal. Mainly because it will heat for 12+ hours without any intervention. I typically add water every hour to partially steam and smoke. The electric smoker is a total game changer since it holds temp within 10 degrees and monitors the meat temp too.

I really like the gas since typically I use it to smoke grain, at 200F or less. Set at the lowest gas setting. It gets smokey and partially darkens (roasts) the malt to Vienna or Munich conditions. Close to 10L. Lately, I've been lowering the grain racks to lowest level and closest to the heat source. The lowest grain basket gets some really dark roasted grains. My guess over 300L, but it's only 5-10% of my smoked grist. The malt flavor is great. Smokey and a little dark.

I might smoke some brown malt on the Traeger later this next month. You need to totally wet the grain (pale malt), smoke it under 200F, and dry roast it for another few hours at 300F. The Traeger will make that easy. Right now I have special Traeger blend of hickory, maple and cherry. This will be great for an old brown ale. Made one last year. Everybody who drank it said it's like bacon brown ale.

You'll like the cold smoke process, it's easy and cheap. You can do cheeses, hard boiled eggs (peeled), diced salami or summer sausage, and buttered & salted almonds. I've cold smoked raw steaks, then grilled them. They turn out pretty good.

Post how your cold smoke goes!

Last edited:
Great info! I’ll try it and post!
I might even have to pick up an electric one to try

The gasket had a glue with it (the one I bought anyways)

Great info! I’ll try it and post!
I might even have to pick up an electric one to try

The gasket had a glue with it (the one I bought anyways)
Thanks. I've thought of that before, but with your encouragement I'll be investigating my choices of gaskets. Especially since it sounds fairly easy to install.

Back