'Smoked Arnold Palmer' Ale Recipe Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakehoodlum

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I am participating in a Homebrewing competition in May where the goal is to showcase a recipe to the tune of "something we haven't thought about before".

My idea is to do a "Smoked Arnold Palmer" style ale where I will use smoked malt, tea, and lemon in the brew. I LOVE the smoke and lemon taste profile. I actually thought about using Lapsang Souchong tea (smoked chinese tea), but it doesn't quite give me the exact flavor I'd like.

I am limited to a couple things:

Yeast: House strain similar to WLP 001 / Wyeast 1056

Hops:
  • Citra
  • Columbus
  • Chinook
  • Cascade
  • Sorachi Ace
  • Falconer’s Flight
  • German Polaris
  • US Brewers Gold
  • Czech Saaz
  • French Strisselspalt
  • US Northern Brewer
ABV Above 5%

5 gal batch Recipe Questions

Initial thoughts are something like:
  • ??lb 2Row or Pilsner
  • ??lb Honey Malt
  • ??lb Beechwood Smoked Malt
  • ??lb Maybe a Carapils?
  • ??lb Flaked Oats? Corn?
  • Chinook/Cascade light bittering additions
  • Sorachi Ace (maybe cascade too) late additions
  • Sorachi Ace dry hop
  • Lemon Zest @ 5min

For tea, I'm thinking that Rooibos tea might be tasty. Sounds like the best way is to just make a cold brew extract and add towards the in to taste.

I'm not quite sure how to handle the lemon, maybe just use some zest in the boil @ 5 min and "dry hop" some zest if i want some more. Sorachi Ace might make nice lemony taste profile, but have heard the "dill" taste thrown around a lot with Sorachi.

I'm thinking either a pilsner/2row base with some beechwood smoked malt, but I am not sure how much smoked malt to use. I don't want to overwhelm it with smoke, but a nice palatable smoke and lemon combo is ideal. I'm thinking that using a large bit of honey malt would be a nice touch.

I'd also love to add some other adjuncts if it will improve the recipe (flaked oats?, flaked corn?) but would love some guidance!

Back