Smoke Bomb Northern Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's fairly new i believe. If you brew it let us know how it turns out, im pretty interested in it, yet not enough to pull the trigger and buy it

It's fairly new i believe. If you brew it let us know how it turns out, im pretty interested in it, yet not enough to pull the trigger and buy it

I think I might. I don't buy recipes online, I just piece them together at my LHBS since I get grains for cheap. Have you ever brewed a beer with peppers in it?

i do the same thing with northern brewer, buy the bulk ingredients and then crush to the recipe the list.

As for the peppers, i've never done it and that's why im interested. If you search on here(obviously) people have done it with some pretty good success i think. Also Deb Loch, from what i've read, knows her stuff and she is the one who came up with this recipe

I have brewed with Ghost peppers. I use a whole dried pepper diced and soaked in vodka for tow days add half to fermenter and half in secondary/keg. The heat has not been as intense as I am looking for, so will add more the next batch. There has been just a trace of heat at the back of the throat. I have gone careful adding the pepper, afraid of getting it TO hot.

This is going on my list. I make a smoked porter every year, and I think I'm going to step it up a notch next time with this recipe.

So I guess what I'm saying is I'll report back in January 2015.

Anyone brew this yet? It sounds like a good recipe. I'm thinking about it, and adding an extra .25-.5 cherrywood malt and some flaked oats. I'm thinking if I get this hot and smokey with some added mouthfeel it will be great in 4-6 months and beyond. Or, maybe the oats won't work very well and this one is better a little thinner. Any feedback from someone who's brewed this would be great :mug:

I brewed it 2 weeks ago and transferred to secondary today. I did have a mishap with it where I went to transfer it yesterday and found the temperature controller on my chest freezer fermentation chamber had stuck on and it was down to 22 degrees and partially frozen. I let it thaw out overnight and transferred it today, tasting a hydrometer sample before and after adding the peppers and it tasted amazing. For the peppers, they include a 1 oz package of dried chipotle peppers. I seeded them and chopped coarsely, putting into a muslin bag in about 12 ounces of vodka for 2 nights (was going to be one, but then I found the frozen beer).

I'm pretty happy with the way it tastes, I don't think I'd change anything with the recipe (besides the part about the beer freezing at the end of primary due to the controller failure, but hey, it still tastes great).

With the base recipe, before adding the vodka/peppers to secondary, my ABV was 6.7%, if that affects your recipe modification plans at all. I imagine your proposed additions to the recipe would make it a pretty high-gravity beer, as its already moderately high.

Back