smelly Prickly pear wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darwin2010

Reaction score
So i just opened a bottle of prickly pear wine that i have been aging for about 6 months and it tasted good perhaps a little sweet but it was my first attempt. i followed the reciepe on jack keller's website (http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/prickly.asp). however the problem is that it had a nasty smell that was a little hard to get over, some people described it as being ether like and some others said it smelled like cat urine. I'm about to try another batch of this i already have the fruit can anybody tell me some possible reasons for the off smell?

What yeast did you use? The recipe on jack Keller's site just says Wine yeast and nutrient. Also what kind and how much nutrient did you use? With that info I can probably give you a couple tips to improve that aroma.

i used lavin ec 1118 and i would have to check but i used whatever the recomended amount of nutrient was on the package from my lhbs

Hmmm I am not exactly sure what cause your aroma issue then. Lalvin ec-1118 is a nutural yeast with low volitile acid and H2S production. You may just try a different yeast strain and try a little different method on nutrients and give it a go. A good all around yeast that is easy to use and has always given me good results is Lalvin 71b-1112.

Look up staggard nutrient additions or "SNA" and follow that. If you want to be less exact then basically you split up your nutrients into 3 additions add add them evenly over the course of the first week of fermentation. For instance I may add 1/2 tsp per gallon of yeast nutrient at yeast pitch then 1/4tsp per gallon 2-3 days later and the same again.

Back