Smells of banana out of air lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5-meo-moln

Reaction score
I'm fermenting a brown ale and it smells like bananas out of the airlock, this normal? Used Safale S-04 Ale yeast. Thanks

RDWHAHB

You'll get some weird smells coming from the fermentor...I've smelled rotten eggs and sulfur to the sweet smell of oranges...I'm sure it's fine just let it ride and check gravity in 10-14 days!

:mug:

pitched too warm? ...but a lot of yeast strains will produce banana flavor/aroma early in fermentation and clear them up later.

Ok, I've fermented couple beers an tons of cider but never had smells of bananas, got worried for a min. Temp is 68

I've only used S04 once and will be pitching tomorrow AM when wort cools for the second time.I've heard s04 produces fruity esters above 65 deg.I fermented at 62 and will be doing the same again.Is 68 beer or air temp.If air temp your way over 68 beer temp.

68 is beer temp

Do you have fermentation control? Is that the temperature of the fermentation vessel, or actual liquid temperature (probe in beer)?

In my experience, US-04 is an absolute monster and goes nuts without proper fermentation control, which can lead it togive off a lot fruity esters.

Back