smells affecting beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all.

Just bottled my first brew.
Got my second ready to go. Now ive given my fermenter a good clean with some fragrance free detergent and santizer solution. In fact ive let it sit for 30 mins in the sanitizer but the smell from my last brew is still there a bit!?

Will this affect my next brew?

My buckets always smell like beer, it's the nature of plastic. I use PBW or OXY to soak and clean and Star San to sanitize just prior to use. Try not to use abrasives when cleaning that can scratch the surface but otherwise as long as you clean and sanitize well IMO the smell is not an issue.

Ya... I am always amazed that the smell is still around a few months later.

When I remove the beer fromt h ebucket I usually just rinse it out and try to get the "hard" deposits out (mostly yeast way up high).

Before use the next time I:

Clean with Oxyclean with cold water and use one of these very "easy and mostly around the top and the spout hole:

http://www.soap.com/p/scotch-brite-..._s&utm_term=MMM-342&utm_campaign=pricegrabber

Rinse with hot water

Sanitize with StarSan (warm/hot water) while the mashing and brewing is going on.

Usually by then the smell will be gone.

Note do not "over" OxyClean and use the cold water... so it does not "crust up". Make sure it all desolves if not cut back on it next time.

The hot water removes any "left" over Oxyclean (crust) and the hot sanitizer is just insurance.

DPB

Latest posts

Back