Smell in the closet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howbrewyoudo

Reaction score
This may seem like a silly question, but I figure it does not hurt to ask. I just finished my first brew, and I have it in the closet to ferment. Will there be any smell associated with the process that will taint what is left in the closet?(I took a lot of things out already). Thank you in advance for all the advice.

Uh, unless you're fermenting in cornelius kegs with a spunding valve, you do not have a closed system. CO2 gas will escape from the airlock. Depending on the grains and yeast, this could have a pretty unpleasant yeasty smell for a week or so. I've never noticed it sticking to clothes though.

Uh, unless you're fermenting in cornelius kegs with a spunding valve, you do not have a closed system. CO2 gas will escape from the airlock. Depending on the grains and yeast, this could have a pretty unpleasant yeasty smell for a week or so. I've never noticed it sticking to clothes though.

If you have a blowoff tube, the smell is significantly decreased, because all the gas bubbles out underwater.

I ferment in my coat closet and have had some pretty foul smelling fermentations (ie Rhino Farts from Apfelwein). No bad odors have stayed and my wife who has a sensitive nose would have complained and made me move things if there were an issue.

I also ferment in a small linen closet filled with bed-sheets, bath towels, and so on... I have never noticed any foul smells from fermentation. The normal fermentation smells do not seem offensive to me, and do not seem to linger on any of the linens/towels that live in the closet with the fermenter. Trust me, my wife WOULD complain if there was any smell from my beer getting on the clean bedsheets! I do not think you have anything to worry about.

Back