SMASH with Pilsner and Amarillo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rogue14

Reaction score
I am toying with the idea of brewing a SMASH w/ Pilsner and Amarillo. Has anyone else tried this? Tips?

I am toying with the idea of brewing a SMASH w/ Pilsner and Amarillo. Has anyone else tried this? Tips?

To me, that's the fun of a SMaSH. I've only done 2-row/cascade but now that I have a 50# sack of 2-row, I plan on trying a couple different hops just to see how it comes out.

Happy Brewing!

I am looking to less bittering hops and more late additions for the citrusy smell.

Besides doing a 90 min boil does anyone have tips for using pilsner malt?

I like to blend pilsner with 15% Golden Promise BUT that wouldn't work too well in a SMASH.

Doing a decoction mash (or at least a step mash) might add a little something to it but would add some time to your brew day.
I made an apa last year that was 60/40 pils/vienna and mostly used amarillo. It was quite tasty.

Pilsner/Armarillo great for saisons.

Do the SMASH with WY 3711. SG ~1.052, mash at 150F for 60min, ferment starting at
64F and let free rise to the Low 70's and hold until finished.

DBear said:
Pilsner/Armarillo great for saisons.

Do the SMASH with WY 3711. SG ~1.052, mash at 150F for 60min, ferment starting at
64F and let free rise to the Low 70's and hold until finished.

That's a good idea, or maybe something like wlp550?

Wyeast 3711 is great...just avoid the Dupont Saison strain unless you have great temp control can get it 85 this time of year.

FWIW I used to do 90 minute mashes and boils for pilsner malt, but recently I've flipped to 40 minutes per or 60mins mash and 40 min boil. No DMS, no nasties.

Maybe my pilsner malt is just so amazing it doesn't need it, but take the traditional wisdom of "you must boil for 90 minutes with pilsner malt" with a grain of salt. I've noticed no difference myself, just way faster to brew!

Back