SMaSH MO and sorachi ace

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevokie

Reaction score
Any thoughts on how this will turn out? I'm planning on doing this, but having doubts that the two will go together. I also have some Simcoe, Citra, Warrior, and Amarillo that I could use instead of sorachi ace if anyone thinks that one of them may be better, I can be easily influenced.

Personally, I think sorachi tastes like dill pikes with a slice of lemon.

Citra is straight killer on its own!

Simcoe and Amarillo also make terrific single hop beers from experience.

That's kinda what I was afraid of honestly. The dude at the lhbs store said that he always got a lot of dill out of sorachi ace. I am feeling like I need to just implement it in a recipe with other hops. I suppose I may just do a 2.5 gallon batch of the sorachi smash and do another small batch with one of the others.

Do you like Sorachi Ace? There are a few beers that use it 100%... Hitachino's Nest has one, Brooklyn Brewing has one. Personally, I love it,but like every hop, it's not for everyone. If you like the hop, go for it!

Well I've never ha anything with it before. I like the description, so that's why I want to use it in a smash beer.

Personally, I think sorachi tastes like dill pikes with a slice of lemon.

Citra is straight killer on its own!

Simcoe and Amarillo also make terrific single hop beers from experience.

Do you have the recipe for the beer that made you hate this hop so much? I've had Sorachi Ace twice. The first time I thought it was crisp, enjoyable, and an unremarkable American saison. Drank one a couple nights ago and it was bland, minerally. I don't remember the hops the first time I had it, but the more recent bottle could have been Saaz for all I knew. I'd seen you mention dill about this hop before, but I just didn't get that. Bought a pound for some reason, maybe I'll throw a pellet in the kolsch I'm drinking. :drunk:

Do you have the recipe for the beer that made you hate this hop so much? I've had Sorachi Ace twice. The first time I thought it was crisp, enjoyable, and an unremarkable American saison. Drank one a couple nights ago and it was bland, minerally. I don't remember the hops the first time I had it, but the more recent bottle could have been Saaz for all I knew. I'd seen you mention dill about this hop before, but I just didn't get that. Bought a pound for some reason, maybe I'll throw a pellet in the kolsch I'm drinking. :drunk:

I brewed Thunderworm's best of show American Wheat with it. Just got massive dill flavor. I also recently had Elysian's "Valhalla" IPA. It features Citra and Sorachi - the dill flavor ruined an otherwise terrific beer. A good brew buddy of mine did a sorachi/simcoe IPA a few months ago. We have been sampling it as it ages. It has improved, but the dill is still there.

FWIW - I am true believer that people can get different "cuts" of hops. Perhaps I just have had bad luck?

Sorachi Ace definitely has a flavor all it's own, but I don't understand this "dill" comment.

I brewed Thunderworm's best of show American Wheat with it. Just got massive dill flavor. I also recently had Elysian's "Valhalla" IPA. It features Citra and Sorachi - the dill flavor ruined an otherwise terrific beer. A good brew buddy of mine did a sorachi/simcoe IPA a few months ago. We have been sampling it as it ages. It has improved, but the dill is still there.

FWIW - I am true believer that people can get different "cuts" of hops. Perhaps I just have had bad luck?

:off:

Sorry OP...

I've been enjoying the new hops book from Stan Hieronymous. Apparently, people have a wide range of flavors they can identify in general and in hops. There's probably a compound in Sorachi that you pick up on. Maybe it's you and 2 other people or you and 40% of the population. Or your other idea - you had a batch that was processed poorly or not harvested at the right time.

Sorachi Ace definitely has a flavor all it's own, but I don't understand this "dill" comment.

I know a lot of people don't get that from it, which is not surprising. Different tastes, different crops of the hop.

If you google "sorachi ace dill" you will see it's fairly common though. Austin Homebrew even lists Dill as a descriptor for it.

Back