smartphone beer apps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm wondering how many of you use smartphone beer/brewing apps, and what you think of them. Do you have a favorite? What does the app do and why do you like it?
Or are you more old school pen-and-paper like me (though I'm learning to change :) ). I'm a recent convert to smart phones and apps in particular. I had a flip phone until last year, but then finally broke down and got a smart phone because I was able to find one that didn't require a second mortgage (read my review here if you're interested). Anyway, I am now getting more and more into apps. I also know a friend of a friend who I think has had every version of the iPhone and is a more than a bit smart-phone-app-addicted. He uses a couple of beer related apps, but he was doing good home brew long before apps came out. Anyway, I wondering what you think of smartphone beer apps and if they've made you a better brewer?

I use brewtimer for Android almost every time I brew. Also convert pad gets used a lot for converting weights and volumes. I don't think either make me a better brewer, but they do simplify things a bit.

I use Beersmith for my recipe design, so when it came out I bought the mobile version. While I could use it more I usually only use it at the store to get my ingredients or to double check #'s on a brew day typically. Oh, and to enter in my SG, FG etc if I'm away from the desktop.

I use Brewer's Friend. I like it's simplicity and that on brew day it takes me step by step through the process and materials. The recipe formulation part is very easy to use and it can be exported to a shopping list and inventory lists.

I use Beersmith for my recipe design, so when it came out I bought the mobile version. While I could use it more I usually only use it at the store to get my ingredients or to double check #'s on a brew day typically. Oh, and to enter in my SG, FG etc if I'm away from the desktop.

I use Beersmith the exact same way; basically a recipe holder. I use the cloud feature between iPhone and iPad. The iPhone when I'm at the store and the iPad when it's brew day for ingredient amounts. The calculators are handy once in a while too.

I use Beersmith the exact same way; basically a recipe holder. I use the cloud feature between iPhone and iPad. The iPhone when I'm at the store and the iPad when it's brew day for ingredient amounts. The calculators are handy once in a while too.

Oh, right I did forget to mention the calculators. I use the various calculators in there all the time. Love the cloud features but I wish I could set up my own server to use for it.

I use Brewer's Friend. I like it's simplicity and that on brew day it takes me step by step through the process and materials. The recipe formulation part is very easy to use and it can be exported to a shopping list and inventory lists.

Many don't know, but I run Brewer's Friend too. It's part of our network.

I use beer citizen to look up ratings and to record my own ratings. I try a lot of local craft on draft when I travel and like to see if I can find them in bottles when I get home.

Brew Pal is a great app as well. It's only a few bucks, but I think it's worth it and use it every brew day. Fairly customizable as well, depending on your setup.

Just used it the other day for brewing 2 different beers at the same time (separate hop schedules). The timers were going off pretty often!

I use 3, not counting HBT's app. My favorite is Fermentis BrewLog, then I use Brew Me and finally Sparge Pal

I'm wondering how many of you use smartphone beer/brewing apps, and what you think of them. Do you have a favorite? What does the app do and why do you like it?

Or are you more old school pen-and-paper like me (though I'm learning to change :) ). I'm a recent convert to smart phones and apps in particular. But I know friend of a friend who I think has had every version of the iPhone and is a more than a bit smart-phone-app-addicted. He uses a couple of beer related apps, but he was doing good home brew long before apps came out. Anyway, I wondering what you think of smartphone beer apps and if they've made you a better brewer.

Other than HBT I use Find Craft Beer. It's always been very reliable for out of town guidance. I'm not into the "social media" type sites. I really don't give a RA what or where others are drinking as long as I'm happy with the selection & service.

Back