iPhone brewing apps - what you got?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiskeySam

Reaction score
I used iBrewMaster (1 and 2) and loved it, but it hasn't been supported in years. I also stopped making homebrew about two years ago. I'm thinking about cooking some batches, but since I can't really use the old iBrewMaster app, I was wondering two things

1) What's the go-to iphone brewing tool these days and
2) does anybody know if you can import batches from iBrew over to any current apps? (I'm thinking no).

Thanks friends.

fwiw, I run Beersmith3 Desktop on my PC, and Beersmith3 Mobile on Android phone and tablet, and I know there is a Mobile version for iPhone, though I don't see it mentioned here very often. Download BeerSmith Recipe Software - Manage your home brewing beer recipes | BeerSmith™ Home Brewing Software

Brewfather seems to be very popular, and someone wrote a batch convertor to get to Brewfather from iBrewmaster-2...
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/thread...wfather-batch-converter-now-available.695331/
Cheers!

I just recently moved from BeerSmith over to BrewFather mostly for its ease of use. The UI is cleaner and more up to date and everything just flows as I’m building my recipes.

The pro version is free for like 14 days to check it out and I think I’m going to make the leap.

The brew day integration is leaps ahead of BeerSmith in my humble opinion.

I use Beersmith on my desktop so I bought the mobile app too... but it sucks. I love the full desktop version but the mobile app (and the web version too) do not have the full features. So I create all my recipes on the PC where I can have all my custom profiles available... upload it when done to the cloud where I can retrieve it on my iPhone mobile app and I use that in the brew house mainly for the brew day timer. Long story short, don't get the Beersmith mobile app.

I use Beersmith on my desktop so I bought the mobile app too... but it sucks. I love the full desktop version but the mobile app (and the web version too) do not have the full features. So I create all my recipes on the PC where I can have all my custom profiles available... upload it when done to the cloud where I can retrieve it on my iPhone mobile app and I use that in the brew house mainly for the brew day timer. Long story short, don't get the Beersmith mobile app.
Sounds like a reasonably easy workaround that I hadn’t considered. I’ve been a BeerSmith user since it came out (started on ProMash, but bailed when it went defunct). Pretty much pleased with BeerSmith after learning it’s quirks, so now I’m so invested that it’d be hard to switch.

I thought about the mobile app for brew day use, but mostly use paper print outs for details and brew notes, later transcribed into the BS ‘mothership’ on the desktop. I use other brew calculators on my cell phone when the need arises.

So your main complaint with BS mobile is doesn’t have the features of the desktop version, or is it that data don’t transfer from mobile to desktop?

I use both PC and Android versions of BS3 and the latter lacks numerous PC version features snd functions. But one can push and pull recipes between them via the BS cloud, so I create and manage recipes on the PC, pull recipes to my tablet on brew days, use the Timer function, fill in the Session data and Notes as the brew progresses, then push it back to the PC for posterity...

Cheers!

I use both PC and Android versions of BS3 and the latter lacks numerous PC version features snd functions. But one can push and pull recipes between them via the BS cloud, so I create and manage recipes on the PC, pull recipes to my tablet on brew days, use the Timer function, fill in the Session data and Notes as the brew progresses, then push it back to the PC for posterity...

Cheers!
That's what I was curious about, whether the Session notes, etc., would seamlessly transfer to/from the cloud-saved recipes. I switched to Mac desktops almost 10 years ago but just finally surrendered to the ubiquitous iPhone.

Sounds like a reasonably easy workaround that I hadn’t considered. I’ve been a BeerSmith user since it came out (started on ProMash, but bailed when it went defunct). Pretty much pleased with BeerSmith after learning it’s quirks, so now I’m so invested that it’d be hard to switch.

I thought about the mobile app for brew day use, but mostly use paper print outs for details and brew notes, later transcribed into the BS ‘mothership’ on the desktop. I use other brew calculators on my cell phone when the need arises.

So your main complaint with BS mobile is doesn’t have the features of the desktop version, or is it that data don’t transfer from mobile to desktop?
Beersmith mobile and the web version both do not have the full features as the desktop version which I really like btw.

I stopped using Beersmith because using on multiple devices seemed a little wonky. Beerfather ok but is lacking if you’re offline at all. Usually not a problem but the detached garage is just far enough to get in that in between Wi-Fi and mobile data neverneverland.

I renewed not long ago but I might try Brewers Friend a try next time.

Back