Smallest, easiest viable fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Etu001

Reaction score
Hi all,

I know there are tons of posts on how to build your own fermentation chamber, but so far, I have not found one on how to a build a small but viable one.

A little background--we brew all grain in a small, NYC apartment. The biggest issue we have faced is keeping our beers at a constant temperature, below 70 degrees. Many buildings out here have the heat controlled by steam by the landlord so its possible to wake up and have your apartment be 80 degrees at 2am. We would love to make a small fermentation chamber that could potentially fit in a closet and would not require a ton of power tools to create.

1) Any recommendations?
2) I found this on craigslist--
http://www.winecoolerdirect.com/summit+beverage+refrigerator+scr310l/SCR310L.html

Would this work? Height is 25 inches so I do not know off the top of my head how big a Better Bottle 5-6 gal fermenter is.

Thanks!

Some dorm-size fridges are big enough and will fit in a closet. You may have to run a blowoff tube if the airlock makes the bucket/carboy too tall.

Rig it with an STC-1000 and you're pretty well set.

Thanks, I will look into that.

Could I use this:

http://www.abt.com/product/37460/Avanti-EWC280B.html

Found one on Craigslist.

Yup.

I've used a 28 bottle wine cooler/fridge as a fermentation chamber for about six months now (picked it up on CL for $35.00). Works like a charm.

Fits all carboys and most fermentation buckets (5 and 6 gallon). The 7.9 gallon fermentation buckets don't quite fit (too wide), but you can make those work if you put a strap or bungee cord around the fridge to keep the door closed.

With a temp controller I can get my cooler down to 40 degrees. Cold enough to lager but not quite cold enough to cold crash.

Good luck.

Back