Small (Hopefully) Brewing Mishap Overnight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anatta

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for taking the time to read my post.

I successfully brewed a 5 Gal batch of Amber yesterday and everything went well. I placed my brew in a cool place and put my fermentation lock on top.

Got up the this morning and dutifully checked my beer. Fermentation was so active that it blew the ferm lock off the carboy. I laughed heartily and cleaned up the mess (thankfully not too much beer lost -- hardly any really). The foam was bubbling out at an alarming rate and, of course, I don't have a blow off assembly and no time to really cobble anything together in the meantime. The problem is further compounded by my LHBS being closed on Mondays due to the fact that, evidently, they have lives too!

Due to the fact that I have to work for the next 6 hours, I won't be able to cobble anything together with hoses/duct tape etc until later tonight. I have read that, if there is an active push of foam, that there is a bed layer of CO2 protecting the beer? Is that true?

Also, the only thing I did that was different on this batch was to oxygenate my beer with an O2 wand product. Does adequately oxygenating your wort prior to pitching make THAT much difference, or was this a coincidence?

Thanks again for reading this and, more to the point, writing. I have learned sooo much from reading the experiences of others.

Cheers!

Roy

Your good, O2 while it helps won't make it ferment wildly, what temperature is it at? Most likely issue, look up swamp cooler.When you get home put a piece of clean aluminum foil over it till it calms down, don't worry you'll still have beer in the end.:mug:

For me, switching to an O2 wand led to much faster and more active fermentation than shaking ever did. YMMV, as I was a pretty lazy shaker.

I'm with ChefRex, this is most likely a temp issue. It's the middle of summer. The "cool" spot is probably a little less cool than it was a few month ago.

Thanks for the replies. Still having some explosive results at around 4am this morning. Scared the crap out of the wife and the dog. :cross:

LHBS opens today so I'll be able to get blow off tube parts.

Thanks again for the replies.

Roy

Yep, blowoffs are your best bet if ambient temps are on the high side (or if you have a high gravity brew). Only had one batch (barleywine) where I had to use one, but I was sooooo glad that I did. Sucker would've made a proper car bomb if I hadn't attached it.

Back