Small Batch Kettle Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Estrada

Reaction score
Hey All - So I'll preface that I know there are a ton of threads out there, but haven't found the answer I've been looking for.

I brew on the stove top (no outdoor space to do it there unfortunately) and have largely been doing extract. A few months back I transitioned to BIAB and got the itch to upgrade the 'ol kettle now. I also do small batches for the BIAB (ferment 2.5 - 3.0 gallons). I've been looking at the bayou classics, ss brew techs and spikes...

I can't go too large because the stove has a microwave above it.

I'm leaning towards a 10 gal (particularly the ss brew tech, while foregoing the false bottom), just in case I ever do move the "operation" to the garage, but for the foreseeable future that isn't in the cards. I am guessing the thermometer might be a bit useless since it'll sit above the wort, unless I went with something like a 5 gal.

The question is, with a small volume, are there any issues with the grains in the bag being fully submerged with the small volume, based on the kettle size? Is it possible to have "too much kettle?"

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Eric

There are no issues with fully submerging the grain. Actually with a looser grain bed, you may get better conversion/efficiency to a point. The only issue with smaller boil volume in a larger pot is that you will probably evaporate more during the boil and hop bitterness may be increased due to the larger relative surface area, so you're going to have to turn it down a bit.

More importantly is your stovetop electric or gas? Its gonna take quite awhile to get 5+ gallons of water boiling on an electric stovetop. I've done 4 gallons on my electric and it took quite awhile to get it rolling and keep it going. Just something to keep in mind especially if you are running 90 minute boils or more. This issue was enough to make me splurge on a Blichman floor burner. I know that's not always in the cards with budget restraints and stuff but you may be better off saving up, buy both a floor burner and a kettle at the same time.

I think if you're doing up to 5 gallons, you can get by with less pot. And if you're doing 3 gallons, then the 10 gallon seems like overkill to me.

Take a look at Adventures in Homebrewing's kettles. They are not as "nice" but they are a hell of a lot cheaper. The Brewtech is NICE and comes with the valve, so take that into account, but you'd spend about half on a 8 gallon 2-weld with the valve and thermometer.

I got a single weld and wish I had gotten the 2-weld.

To answer your question, in your case I don't see an issue. The two main problems I've seen folks have with too much kettle is with a false bottom holding the grain above the water level or with electric systems the volume could be too low to cover the element(s). Neither apply in your situation.

And now, my two cents on your kettle situation. If you're sure you want to keep making small batches in the kitchen, I'd get the 36 quart Bayou Classic on Amazon for $57, free shipping with Prime. This kettle has a great height/diameter ratio and is perfectly capable of anything you throw at it. With the money saved ($180 for SS Brewtech vs $57 Bayou Classic saves you $123), I would buy a DIY Hot Rod kit from BrewHardware.com. By the time you get the Hot Rod ($59), stainless 1500 watt heating element ($19), some cable (~$10) and a plug ($4) you'll have $92 in the Hot Rod.

With the Hot Rod, you could easily forgo the stove top altogether and brew anywhere you have access to a GFCI protected outlet. And even if you don't have access to a GFCI outlet, you can buy a portable GFCI for ~$12. Then you really can brew anywhere (with electricity) you darn well please! Imagine the possibilities! You can sweat like the rest of us in the garage :)

So grand total: $57 + $92 = $149 (+$12 for GFCI plug = $161)

And I wouldn't worry about putting a valve on the kettle. With the small volumes you're doing you can just pick up the kettle and dump it right in. Or if you don't like that, just use a siphon hose!

If the above didn't convince you to buy a Hot Rod, here's another quick plug. I think every home brewer needs at least one of these. I have two and they are incredibly handy pieces of equipment. They get used all the time to heat water in situations I didn't even dream of when I bought them. This weekend while I was brewing I used the Hot Rod to heat a bucket of water+PBW. I dropped a dirty keg in the bucket and hooked up my submersible pump to circulate the solution. A few minutes later I had a clean the keg without me having to scrub it down. This weekend I also used them to heat strike water prior to underletting the grains. Underletting was a first for me, made possible my having a heat source external to my kettle.

And lastly I use one every brew day to aid in boiling wort. I have one 1500 watt element mounted in my kettle and I drop the 1500 watt Hot Rod in to help things along. This weekend I was handily boiling 11 gallons of wort with this set up.

Another use I've seen: Folks that sparge use them to heat up sparge water while the mash is progressing. This saves on propane.

EDIT: If you live in the Houston area I've got a 36 quart Bayou Classic that's collecting dust. I could give you a sweet deal on it.

I agree with TexasWine. I didn't see a 6 gallon kettle, but that's the right size for what you're describing. Eventually, if you are able to get a burner and a larger pot, you can sell off the smaller one (like TexasWine is doing).

The Hot Rod sounds interesting - I'm going to look into it to use in a 5 or 10 gallon cooler to heat water without overshooting the temperature. What is a portable GFCI? It plugs into a regular outlet to add the circuit breaker?

Thanks, all! I appreciate all of the insight - safe to say I hadn't thought about some of that before.

So, with a smaller pot, I'm foregoing the thermometer. With BIAB then, what is the best way to keep an eye and maintain temp? Any type of digital probe thermometers that would work? I'm thinking of something that would allow me to submerge the probe completely, throughout the mash, to make sure I'm on target. There is the option of just buying a handheld and checking it periodically, but I like the idea of not removing the lid constantly.

Oh, and I Appreciate the offer for the kettle! Sadly, I am nowhere near Houston (Chicago).

Thanks, all! I appreciate all of the insight - safe to say I hadn't thought about some of that before.

So, with a smaller pot, I'm foregoing the thermometer. With BIAB then, what is the best way to keep an eye and maintain temp? Any type of digital probe thermometers that would work? I'm thinking of something that would allow me to submerge the probe completely, throughout the mash, to make sure I'm on target. There is the option of just buying a handheld and checking it periodically, but I like the idea of not removing the lid constantly.

This will work for a submersible probe thermometer.

Polder Digital In-Oven Thermometer/Timer, Graphite color https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P6FLOY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I think you'll find that after you get a few brews under your belt and you have your insulation nailed down, you won't need to constantly monitor the temp.

Plus, you're gonna have stratification. A static thermometer in a static pot of water isn't going to give you an absolutely accurate temperature reading. If you're like me you'll fret over any variance from the desired temp and then try to do something about it like add hot water or turn on the burner. It's best just to sit tight. If you had the proper strike temp you'll be fine.

Because of all this, I'd forgo the submersible and get a Thermoworks instead.

http://www.thermoworks.com/RT600C

Take one measurement 10 minutes in to make sure you hit the temp you were going for, then take another at the end of the mash to see how much heat is lost. That's all you really need. This will give you the knowledge to make adjustments with your next brew, should you need to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest a digital hand held thermometer. IME you don't need constant monitoring. Once your mash is at your target temperature, place the kettle it a warm 150 - 170 degree oven to maintain steady temps.

Hi Estrada,

Here is a 10 gal. ready-made BIAB option to consider: http://conical-fermenter.com/BK10TW-EL1-BIB-58-10-gal-Brew-In-Bag-Kettle.html

58-bk10tw-el1-bib-800-03.jpg

But don't infrared thermometers only give surface temp.?

I'm thankful I came across this thread. I am attempting my first BIAB (picked up the kit from Northern Brewer) and only have a 5 gal kettle. They're suggesting at least a 7.5gal. I also brew in the kitchen on a glass top electric range. I'm afraid going w/ a bigger kettle might be too heavy. Can I do it in the 5 gal kettle or should I suck it up and get one of the ones listed in the thread?

Any thoughts are helpful.

But don't infrared thermometers only give surface temp.?

I'm thankful I came across this thread. I am attempting my first BIAB (picked up the kit from Northern Brewer) and only have a 5 gal kettle. They're suggesting at least a 7.5gal. I also brew in the kitchen on a glass top electric range. I'm afraid going w/ a bigger kettle might be too heavy. Can I do it in the 5 gal kettle or should I suck it up and get one of the ones listed in the thread?

Any thoughts are helpful.

You can split it into two batches, or go for one larger batch of 4 to 4 1/2 gallons....

It would be very optimistic to think you can do a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon pot without taking a hit in Gravity...aka weaker beer as you will need top up water.

Simply put, you could brew it as one batch, chill the wort and dilute or top up with water to recipe gravity.

You get what you get volume wise....likely not 5 but maybe close with fingers crossed.

5 gallons can mange 4 gallon boils if you top off. With some math you can top off after and hit your numbers. It can also handle 12lbs of grain. 15 lbs is too much, max might be 14 or 13lbs.

Takes a long time to heatup, thermouses, a second pot, or a heat stick will help.

If your careful u can use any digit thermometer. But it will stop working with enough steam, rice inside it helps.

Speaking from experience, I use 4 and 5 gallon pots on the stove. My next upgrade is a waterproof thermometer and better ventilation.

Faster heat can be had by splitting the water, having a second boiling water source ready. Mash in and raising the temp to a rolling boil are the bottle neck stages. Mash in isn't a problem, that's when I make breakfast and prep!

You can split it into two batches, or go for one larger batch of 4 to 4 1/2 gallons....

It would be very optimistic to think you can do a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon pot without taking a hit in Gravity...aka weaker beer as you will need top up water.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. Yeah, it's not a 5 gal batch. That would be insane to try doing a 5 gal batch in a 5 gal kettle. It's a 3 gal batch in a 5 gal kettle. Maybe I'll just split the batch or suck it up and upgrade. I just didn't want to have to go outside.

Back