Small Batch Honey Wheat Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieTrappist

Reaction score
Experimenting with small batch wheats this weekend. Brewing two 3/4 gal batches and put in 1-gal carboys (all of my other ferm buckets are being used). Beersmith says both about 6.1abv and 14srm.

Never done wheat. Researched other recipes, and mine seem pretty unique. Besides costing too much $, am I creating two disasters, or do these have a chance?

60 min steep and 20 min boil.

Recipe 1: Honey Wheat
.5# DME Bavarian Wheat
.5# DME Golden Light
.2# Honey
.5# Victory/Biscuit
.25#Honey Malt
.12# Maris Otter
.12# Carafoam
.75 oz Strisslespalt 15 min
.5 pkg wyeast 1010 Am Wheat

Recipe 2: Wheat
.5# DME Bavarian Wheat
.5# DME Golden Light
.15# Brown Sugar Light
.25# Wheat Malt
.25#Brown Malt
.37# Maris Otter
.12# Carafoam
.75 oz Sorachi Ace 10 min
.5 pkg wyeast 1010 Am Wheat

I also have 1056, s04, s05, and 1oz each of Mosaic, Target, Fuggle, Golding, Sauvin, Amarillo, Cascade, Spalt, plus 1#DME pilsen and 1#DME amber. Should I change anything?

Thanks!

Hi! Most Wheat beers are simple beers. I would Skip the biscuit and strisslespalt with the first recipe and probably the cars foam also. Recipe # 2 I don't understand the wheat malt and the Dme Wheat. I would use one or the other and my choice would be the DME WHEAT Wheat beer usually have plenty of head so I would skip the Carafoam again. Most Wheat beers are 4 to 5 % alc and are simple beers easy drinkers. Why the brown and Maris otter? I think you will have a large mix of flavors. All that being said Either recipe will make beer and maybe Great beer.:confused:

Started the brew. Went ahead and kept grains in each one, but dropped to 2 oz each. Originally I was going to do DME, hops, and yeast only, but I've got a problem trying to make things unique and outside the box. Only my 7th brew, and I've got some amazing flavors from the first 6. Thanks!!!

These turned out pretty good. The Honey Wheat tastes grapefruit juicey and the Brown Sugar Wheat is Newcastle-ish with a little more body.
Gave a Honey Wheat to a lady who is a huge IPA fan and she emailed she is "mad dog crazy" for it. Would do the honey wheat again.

Honey malt and American wheats are pretty croud pleasing. Gambrinus Honey malt ambers, blondes, IPAs, Cali-Common, Rye, American Brown ale, and lagers are great. I also think honey malt does a better job providing sweetness than most crystal malts.

Latest posts

Back