Small Batch carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeRLynch

Reaction score
Alright guys, I'm one of many brewers in a really friggin small apartment, and I'm starting to get into small batches. I was looking around for alternatives for carboys that were shorter and more stackable (closet space), and I found this. Any thoughts on oxygen permability with these? Was thinking I could use a bung for the screwtop with an airlock, then be able to stack another on top. Thoughts?

Bummer. Anyone find cheap, smallish fermenting vessels anywhere? Spending 35 bucks a pop for 6 gallon glass carboys is getting a little excessive, and I want to do a lot of different batches.

I've read about people on this board that have scored frosting containers from in-store bakeries. I haven't run across any, but maybe you should try some of those?

I was in the container store the other day and was checking out their food grade storage containers of all sizes. It can get kinda pricey though.

Also, if you can score some 1 gallon glass jugs (usually sold with wine or juice in them) that's not a bad deal either. Not sure how small you were looking for.

Finally, I have a 3 gallon glass carboy from my LHBS that works great.

Well, i got a few water bottles from lowes with a (1) on the bottom, and they are square, instead of round. And got it with the water for less then 10$. Havent seen them in a bit, but they may still have them. Also, Home depot has 5 gallon buckets on sale with (2) on the bottom for about 2.99, and teh lid was an extra 1$. I picked up a few of them for grain, but I am sure you could use them as a small batch fermenter.

Better bottles also has three gallon carboys, as well, as most LHBSs sell 3 gallon carboys also.

Reg. plastic ale pails are not that much, 10$ isnt bad for a primary fermenter. I wouldn't worry about plastic so much as a primary, as it doesnt spend much times in that as it does the secondary. heck,, my last batch of hefe spent too weeks just in a plastic pail, and it came out great.

I'm one of the people who believes that the oxygen permeability "issue" is purely a myth of glass manufacturers that has got stuck into our collective crow, and it gets brought up whenever someone wants to ferment in something non-standard...

I think it's hooey...no one can cite data from anything OTHER that a glass manufacturer comparing their product to plastic...yet so many love to quote the old oxygen permeability chestnut...

Guess what, the same argument was used when better bottle hit the market by old timers...

A couple things to think about...if there's co2 pushing out, then AIN'T NO O2 GETTING IN.

Also, If you are fermenting and drinking your beer within a couple of months, EVEN IF IT WAS AN ISSUE, you'd be done drinking the batch long before any Oxygentation issues occur...

If you are doing long term secondary use glass...But if you are making a high turnover beer then USE WHAT WORKS FOR YOU!!!

I have a bunch of 3 gallon water bottles that I use for my small batches, AND I'VE NEVER HAD AN OXYDIZED BATCH!!!!

There's been some discussion lately about mounting airlocks on Petsmart Vittle Vaults from the pet store...they're foodsafe, relatively cheap and come in all manner of sizes.

pPETS-3759027t400.jpg

I have read and seen people fermenting beer and wine in some pretty interesting containers...

SO find what works, And test it out for yourself. You're making a small batch, so you won't be out a heck of a lot if you fail...

I just picked up 5 gallons of Apple Juice (Apfelwein?) at Whole Foods for $6 each in Glass jugs. I've already got a mead in one, and just dumped some Notty in another, My son is drinking another, and we'll be thinking about the rest.
Small expiramental batches here we come...some more!

WOOT!

Sam's around me sells Monadnock spring water in 4 gallon #1 PETE bottles they have no deposit on them and are around 4 bucks.The bung hole is the same size as the Better Bottles. I have about 15 of them laying around 2 with Apfelwein in them. I just cant bring myself to throw them in the recycle bin.

Walmart has ~1.25 gallon Plastic #2 thin (maybe 3") and about 8" tall drinking vessels with a screw lid and a nozzle for about $6. I believe they are Rubbermaid brand. I have been eyeing them thinking they would be great for small batches and for cold crashing/short term lagering as they are designed to take up minimal refrigerator space.

You can find them where the water pitchers are and things in the Kitchen area (mine are on the very bottom shelf).

I work at a college and I just went in to the cafeteria last week to ask about buckets. I came out with two 4 gallon buckets, with lids, that had had margarine in them. They even ran them through the industrial dishwasher after they were done so they're sparkling clean. They had a dozen of them and I could've had them all if i wanted, but SWMBO wouldn't have been pleased.

So, I figure if I bring two home each week for 6 weeks she might not notice. :D

Oxygen permeability is really only an issue after primary fermentation has finished, the secondary issue is the potential for chemical leeching from the plastic (resins, etc...) due to pH levels of beer.

I'd have no problems using these FDA approved cubes for a Primary fermentation but, then again what do I know, I'll use the Standard #7 water bottle carboy too. Haven't had any issues with my beer.......

But it's getting harder to tuck this goddang tail into my pants. :confused:

Wow, great responses guys. Guess i'm forgetting the most important lesson in homebrewing.

RDWHAHB

:)

Jamil wrote an article about that the other month, and I'm no Jamil Lover, but the trick is to know what parts to fuss over, and which ones to just let go.
Fuss over the .5 oz hop addition, not the 2 tablespoons out of 9 pounds of 2 row that fell on the floor, Fuss over sanitation, not the Irish Moss going in at EXACTLY 15 minutes!

Relaxing is a good idea, but safety and quality equipment are one of the things I'll fuss over. I'm ugly enough, I don't need to be growing a tale too!

Back