Smal batch Strike / Mash temp problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PDevlin75

Reaction score
Hey folks!

So here's a question for y'all… I mashed about 2+ pounds of grain in a 5 gallon cooler (I'm doing a 1 gallon batch). I heated my water to strike temp, poured it into the cooler, and added my bag. After watching it for a few moments, the temp was not coming down to mash temp, so I added some cold water. I let it do its thing, and when the mash was done, I was probably a good 8 degrees below my desired mash temp.

My questions being: Do I need to give more time to allow the grain to absorb the heat and balance out the temp? How much can I expect 2 pounds of grain to affect the strike water temp? Just wondering where I might have gone wrong. My guess is that I might have jumped the gun when I added cold water. Any thoughts on this?

This is my 2nd attempt at BIAB. I started brewing less than 2 years ago. I've tried extract, I've tried all grain, and now I want to experiment with 1 gallon BIAB batches, so I can now venture into coming up with my own recipes, without committing to a full 5 gallon batch. So far, my efficiency has been pretty feeble. Looking to get the hang of this method.

Thanks!
-Pete

With only 2 lbs of grain in a five gallon cooler you will likely have a hard time holding temps.

I would try BIAB mashing in your kettle and then place the kettle w mash in a warm oven for the mash rest.

Easier and more effective IMO.

Right on... I was wondering if the lesser grain weight might be a problem. I've held mash temp on full batches of all grain before. I had a feeling there was something about smaller batches that might be throwing it off

I've thought about doing exactly what you're suggesting with the warm oven, but another question, if I may: If my oven doesn't accept my input of a temp lower than 170, how might you recommend going ahead with that method? My assumption would be, set it for 170, and watch the temp. Once it hits my desired mash temp (let's say,154), turn it off and just let it ride out the hour? I figure the oven will lose temp. But I'm also concerned that leaving it to heat up to 170 will exceed my mash temps over time.

Sorry, I'm new to BIAB (and brewing, in general). I'm not opposed to the "try it and see what happens / what's the worst that can happen" method, but if I can also come on here and ask first, I'll do that before I waste time and ingredients.

For 3 gal batches I find if I preheat to 170, turn it off just before I'm getting ready to dough in, stir for about 5 min then put it in the oven it holds temp between 152 and 156 exceedingly well for the full mash time (45-60 min). If I'm mashing low like 148 I turn the oven off about 15-20 min sooner, or crack the door just a tad while stirring the mash if I forget. Otherwise I found I was gaining a couple degrees during the mash.

... stir for about 5 min...

Well there ya go! Something I wasn't doing. I've been tying the bag into a ball and just dunking it like a tea bag. If I had left the bag open and stirred the grains, that might have done a bit more to reach mash temp without me adding cold water. Then again, I'm still only mashing 1/3 of what you're doing. That may still be a factor. Just the same, I suppose spending five min stirring might go a long way, in addition to the warm oven method. I'll give both of those a shot the next time.

You'll also hurt your efficiency just dunking the bag with the grains packed tight, they should be totally loose and completely mixed with the water. Find a bag that will line your whole pot.

Got one... I just wasn't using it properly. Thanks! That should help quite a bit!

Well there ya go! Something I wasn't doing. I've been tying the bag into a ball and just dunking it like a tea bag. If I had left the bag open and stirred the grains, that might have done a bit more to reach mash temp without me adding cold water. Then again, I'm still only mashing 1/3 of what you're doing. That may still be a factor. Just the same, I suppose spending five min stirring might go a long way, in addition to the warm oven method. I'll give both of those a shot the next time.

I've found that stirring the grains in with a whisk instead of a spoon breaks up the inevitable dough balls.

I've found that stirring the grains in with a whisk instead of a spoon breaks up the inevitable dough balls.

Same here. In one hand I use a long spoon to stir up the grain from the bottom, in the other a short whisk to obliterate the dough balls that surface.

Back