smack pack yeast activator already broken

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcronk

Reaction score
yesterday i used a smack pack yeast (2112 calafornia lager). when i went to activate it, it seemed that the inner packet(activator) had already been broken. it hadn`t raised in 3 hours, but i decided RDWHAHB, and used it anyways. its been over 24 hours now and there is no noticable activity. the yeast that was poured in all seems to be sitting on the bottom, with a very slight film on the top. This is only my 4th batch, but this seems to be acting differently than the others. Do i need to just RDWHAHB or should i get more yeast and repitch? would it hurt anything if i wasn`t able to pitch more yeast until thursday? thanks in advance.

The general rule of thumb I've heard is if there is no activity within 72 hours, you should add more yeast. As long as your sanitation was good, you shouldn't have a problem.

Was this your first time using liquid yeast? Did you make a starter? I have had lag times of up to 72 hours when using liquid yeast without a starter (sometimes even with a starter).

The first phase of the yeast life-cycle involved the yeast multiplying, that is what it sounds like is happening in your brew right now. Give it a few more days minimum before you start to worry. In the meantime, pick up some dry yeast packets just in case you need to repitch.

This was my third time using a liquid yeast smack pack. the other two times there was definately an activator inside to punchure, and then after three hours the pouch would be expanded. This time i think it had been already activated sometime in the past as it was broken when i openned it. I did not make any starter. as of writing this post it is 47 hours in without any activity. i will wait the 25 more hours and see if it is going by then.

the yeast packet was kinda old...7-19-07 was the date on it.

thanks for the responses.

it has been 72 hours now and there is still no airlock activity. there is a small film on the top of the wort and alot of sediment and floaties in the bottom. should i repitch some yeast? i don`t have any dry yeast but i do have a packet of fat tire in a smack pack. should i refilter the old yeast out before i repitch? should i oxynagate the wort? any ideas?

heres an update.

at the 75 hour mark last night i decided to give it a good mixin`. i shook the heck outta the carboy and got the sediment to be throughout the whole wort. i woke up this morning and it was bubbling. i guess lesson learned is that yeast will still take off with the activator broken, it just will take alot longer.

Cool, I'm glad it finally took off!

While it's always a good idea to make a starter for liquid yeast, it's REALLY important when the viability of your yeast is even slightly in doubt. (previously broken inner pouch, exposure to heat, past expiration date, etc.)

Back