Smack Pack break

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jibis

Reaction score
I just gave a smack pack of yeast a good whack and it broke open. This is the first time something like this has happened to me. Can I still let the yeast fester in it, or is it doomed? I am planning on pitching the yeast in about 4 hours.

You could try using it and see what happens. Personally I would ditch it and use you Dry yeast backup plan. You should always have a pack of dry yeast on hand for this exact reason.

Yikes!....sounds risky. I'm definitely not the most experienced brewer on this forum, but I'd be a bit leery. We spend so much time and effort to keep things sanitary; if I were you, I'd prolly bite the bullet and spend an extra 6 bucks on some new yeast. My 2 cents.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have the yeast in a sanitized pyrex container with a loose fitting lid on it. I am curious if I can see it come to life. In a few hours I will either pitch it or use dry yeast. I appreciate your advise ans will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have the yeast in a sanitized pyrex container with a loose fitting lid on it. I am curious if I can see it come to life. In a few hours I will either pitch it or use dry yeast. I appreciate your advise ans will let you know how it turns out.

Good luck. Since you put it in a sanitized container right away, I'd guess that f it takes-off in the starter wort right away, you may be fine with it. Kind of a crap shoot though. If you're super attached to your future beer, I'd go with a back-up yeast.

You should always have a pack of dry yeast on hand for this exact reason.

That's the quote of the day. I have a variety of dry yeasts for the just in case situations. The other evening my buddy called me on a Saturday night for help because he accidently dumped in the Oktoberfest Lager yeast at 150°F and killed 'em and LHBS closed on Sun. The best I could to was Safbrew T-58 dry yeast (belgian). He didn't get oktoberfest lager but he did get beer.

I pitched the yeast from the broken pack. It seems to be bubbling away. Only time will tell if it gets infected. Thanks for the help.

Well tell Tim everything should be fine. As long as you didn't suck it off the floor with a straw. And spit it into the wort it`ll be fine

Back