Slushy wheat beer in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCAg2002

Reaction score
I had my keezer tuned to be too cold, and we were gone a week on vacation. My freshly kegged wheat beer got pretty slushy and I wasn’t able to draw a pint from the faucet. I’ve since warmed it up and it’s thawed out, but the contents are a foamy mess. I think the cold dropped a lot of the yeast out of suspension and what comes out right now is foamy yeast sediment. It’s gross. I’m hoping that it will stabilize, and I also hope it retains the same flavor as before. It was delicious.

Anyone have experience with this? Should I take it off of the gas and then try to recarbonate?

I once had a keezer temp conroller fail and freeze the beer. I let it thaw and everything was okay afterward.

Not sure what you mean by "take it off of the gas and then try to recarbonate." If you "take it off the gas," it's not going to suddenly lose the carbonation it already has. But the carbonation would slowly decrease with each pour, as the remaining beer and the increasing headspace come to a new equilibrium each time. But anyway, I can't think of a good reason to intentionally lose CO2 and then add it back.

Last edited:
Update. I let the keg thaw and it’s still a foamy mess. I went ahead and completely depressurized the keg and took it off the gas. Worse still, it now tastes way “spicier” than it did before. It was a really great hoppy wheat beer, but I’m really not sure it’s drinkable right now. It’s just so acidic tasting.

Any advice? 😢

Back