Slow to Carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sprocketmaker

Reaction score
Bottled my English Porter on 12/11 and tried a few slightly carbed bottles over the holiday break... Taste good (bit green) but no head and no carb bite. I'm only slightly concerned, just seems slow to carb. The beer is an English Porter (loosely based on RCH Old Slug) two week primary fermentation, followed by two week secondary on Oak, Whiskey and Vanilla. then bottled with 1 lb of DME added to carbonate. we had a pretty warm december in CT, and I've kept the bottles in my utility room, which stays approx 68 - 72 degrees this time of year. I'm sure more time is the answer... maybe warmer temps... any thoughts?

In before Revvy posts! haha

In general beers can take a few weeks to start carbing. Bigger beers can take even longer. Just give it more time...a month or so in bottles in about the minimum for a properly carbed beer.

Thanks guys... as I expected, just need more patience... and to brew something else to keep me from messing with this one! Congrats Brewnoob1 on beating Revvy, certainly a milestone!;)

In before Revvy posts! haha

In general beers can take a few weeks to start carbing. Bigger beers can take even longer. Just give it more time...a month or so in bottles in about the minimum for a properly carbed beer.

ME TOO!

But seriously, patience grasshoppah.

Daksin: My bad on the 1lb... probably more around 1 1/4 cup - standard bag of priming sugar (DME) from my HBSS.

And if you've never bottled using DME, it usually takes a lot longer to carb up than corn sugar would, but it'll get there eventually.

Back