Slow/Stuck Fermentation with Mangrove Jack's Dry Yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlfA01

...it ain't sold in heaven...
Reaction score
Hi All!

I've noticed a trend in my last couple of brews. During the summer months I can't get liquid yeast shipped due to the high attrition rates related to hot temps and long shipping times. Therefore, when brewing during the summer months, I usually pitch rehydrated dry yeast. I don't have an LHBS, so I order my products via mail or courier delivery.

The trend that I've picked up on is that when I use Mangrove Jack's yeast, the fermentation is really slow and difficult to reach FG. I've recently experimented with this yeast for the first time. Typically I've pitched Fermentis and Lallemand yeasts. I've noticed this with the Bohemian Lager and the US West Coast (two brews) strains. The yeast packets were refrigerated and used within three days of receipt.

Brew Details:
Maris Otter Pale Ale - OG 1.065 (5.5 gal) pitched two packets rehydrated ale yeast. No airlock activity, but small amount of krausen on top. Current gravity reading 1.025
Lager - OG: 1.057 (5.5 gal) pitched two packets of rehydrated lager yeast. No airlock activity now, but when checking the gravity I noticed small amount of krausen and some rising bubbles in the beer. Current gravity 1.027.
Centennial IPA: OG 1.061 (5 gal) pitched two packets of rehydrated ale yeast. Same as above, but the gravity is 1.030.

I also brewed a fresh hop Cascade IPA within the same 3-day period and I kegged it yesterday--the difference was I used only one packet of Lallemand Nottingham yeast, rehydrated of course. OG was in the 1.060 range. I actually got a 1.055, but then realized I hadn't calibrated the old refractometer. It was off by .005 with distilled water. My FG on this beer was splitting hairs between 1.015 and 1.014.

Other details: fermentation chamber set at approx 62F for the ales, but fluctuates a couple of degrees with the STC-1000. Refrigerator set at approx 50F for first stage of the lager. The gravities have changed very little over the last 7-days.

Since there is still some fermentation going on, as krausen is visibly floating, so I believe the yeast is still active and fermenting but very slow, not stuck.

Anyone else experience this?

Cheers,
Dan

Took gravity readings again yesterday and sure enough they are slightly lower than my previous measurements.

All three beers were between .003 and .005 lower. I'm hoping those yeasts will tidy things up soon so I can keg these beers.

Cheers,
Dan

Back