slow secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owaow

Reaction score
i'm relatively new at brewing.
Whipped up a batch of a Snow Cap Christmas ale a few weeks ago. The OG was 1.078. Because the recipe said to, I racked to the secondary fermenter after a week. The beer was still bubbling merrily away at this time; SG was aprox 1.035 (target FG 1.020). Since then, the beer has continued to bubble, approximately every 15 sec. It even re-krausened. as of 2 days ago, approx 2 weeks since racking, the SG was 1.030.

I'm guessing i racked a little too soon. and that i left most of my yeast in the primary fermenter (now in my compost pile.) The remaining yeast were in an oxygen-free, low nutrient environment, so they really cant reproduce. So the poor little beasties are having to work extra hard to make my beer for me.

My questions are:
1) any point in re-pitching some fresh yeast, or bette to just wat another 10 days or so for my current team to finish the job?

2) do i need to rack again before bottling?

Thanks

Give it more time. High gravity ales take longer to ferment, even if you don't rack them. As the ABV increases fewer of the yeast can work effectively. You don't really need to rack again, just be careful when you transfer to the bottling bucket.

Additional time to clear isn't a bad thing either.

Back