Slow/no fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach1288

Reaction score
I made a beer yesterday and pitched a healthy active starter into it. The temperatures were perfect and I aerated properly but there is no sign of fermentation. There is not airlock activity and no krausen. What could be the problem?

First of all, the one sure fire way of knowing if fermentation has occurred is to take a gravity reading.

Second, it can take up to 72 hours for signs of fermentation to appear. Be patient.

First of all, the one sure fire way of knowing if fermentation has occurred is to take a gravity reading.

Second, it can take up to 72 hours for signs of fermentation to appear. Be patient.

I have made 7 batches and all of them have had vigorous fermentation in less than 12 hours, that's why i'm concerned.

I made a scottish ale on saturday morning (0100 hours) and have had little visible fermentation signs. Little Kraeusen and saw no activity in the airlock when I watched it for a couple minutes. I took a gravity reading at it was at 1020 coming from 1038 OG. The recipe calls for it to get down between 1010-1014....should I be worried or just wait longer? Thanks for the help!

Don't worry just because the airlock isnt going crazy. Give it two days and take another reading. As long as the numbers are going down, you should be fine

A few hours after I made this post it started to vigorously ferment ;)

Latest posts

Back