Slow fermentation - should I take action?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbsengineer

Reaction score
It's now Tuesday night and I just took a reading of 1.070, it started at 1.077. This is the first time I couldn't see activity in the blow off after 24 hours. It has been awhile since I brewed so I decided to use dry yeast to avoid my usual liquid yeast start process. Dry yeast checked out fine with the froofing process. I overpitched a bit and used dry yeast calculators to make sure I was ok. For example I pitched 40 grams of dry yeast for a 1.077 beer @ 12 gallons. Safeale US-05.

So it's fermenting, just abnormally (for me anyway) slowly. I did start the fermentation temperature at 64 degrees. Yesterday I rose it to 65, and tonight I just rose it to 66. I verified the temp with a thermowell.

I actually brewed two batches and the other batch is also slow.

So, should I sit on it or take action? One batch is a Pliny the Elder clone so there is a significant amount of money in hops alone for that guy!

The concern I had was that the dry yeast was re-hydrated in warm water (100 degrees). Not sure how much it cooled down before putting it 64 degree wort.

I figured I would get a RDWHAHB, ;-).

Any other votes?

The concern I had was that the dry yeast was re-hydrated in warm water (100 degrees). Not sure how much it cooled down before putting it 64 degree wort.

I figured I would get a RDWHAHB, ;-).

Any other votes?

i bet that 100 degree water started dropping in temperature pretty fast and as soon as you put the dry yeast in it it dropped even faster. i don't see anything to worry about.

I'm curious about your proofing process for the yeast.

boil a cup of water per 12 grams of yeast. cool down to 105. add yeast. stir. add a little bit of sugar. let sit for 30 minutes to witness bubbling and activity. pitch

So dropped another 7 points to 1.063 overnight. This is a painfully slow primary fermentation.

I believe my last 20 or so Ale batches fermented down near terminal within three days. Next time I'm going back to my starters.

So dropped another 7 points to 1.063 overnight. This is a painfully slow primary fermentation.

I believe my last 20 or so Ale batches fermented down near terminal within three days. Next time I'm going back to my starters.

You should stop checking the gravity and just let it do its thing. You already know it's fermenting so all you're doing is risking infection and oxidation.

Also, proofing yeast is really unnecessary with the quality yeast being produced these days. And it's bad for the yeast to be rehydrated with anything other than water. It's the same reason it's bad to pitch directly into the wort. So you probably damaged and killed some of the yeast by doing that which may have resulted in a slower start.

And you only really need about about 1/2 cup water per 12 grams of yeast (10 times it's weight in water). Sounds like your yeast is fermenting though, so I would just let it go.

EDIT: Also you never actually said when you pitched. And are you seeing krausen?

You should stop checking the gravity and just let it do its thing. You already know it's fermenting so all you're doing is risking infection and oxidation.

Also, proofing yeast is really unnecessary with the quality yeast being produced these days. And it's bad for the yeast to be rehydrated with anything other than water. It's the same reason it's bad to pitch directly into the wort. So you probably damaged and killed some of the yeast by doing that which may have resulted in a slower start.

And you only really need about about 1/2 cup water per 12 grams of yeast (10 times it's weight in water). Sounds like your yeast is fermenting though, so I would just let it go.

EDIT: Also you never actually said when you pitched. And are you seeing krausen?

I have conicals so no risk for infection.

I don't directly proof the yeast, I set some grams aside to test them for that exact reason.

I pitched Sunday evening about 1 hour after going into the conical.

Not sure on the krausen since I don't want to open it up.

Thanks!

I have conicals so no risk for infection.

I don't directly proof the yeast, I set some grams aside to test them for that exact reason.

I pitched Sunday evening about 1 hour after going into the conical.

Not sure on the krausen since I don't want to open it up.

Thanks!

Oh nice! Well then sample away. And disregard everything I said! Haha.

That is pretty slow for US-05 though. I use it pretty often and in my experience it usually works pretty quickly, as in activity within 24 hours and high krausen about 2-3 days after that. But I guess as long as it's fermenting you should be good. Hopefully it will turn out for you! :mug:

Oh nice! Well then sample away. And disregard everything I said! Haha.

That is pretty slow for US-05 though. I use it pretty often and in my experience it usually works pretty quickly, as in activity within 24 hours and high krausen about 2-3 days after that. But I guess as long as it's fermenting you should be good. Hopefully it will turn out for you! :mug:

I thought it was odd as well and I can't figure it out. I would have called it a fluke but both batches are doing the same thing. Must of got some lazy yeast!

Thanks again! :mug:

Back