Slow Ferm - Anything I should look out for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbeh

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Making the good old Average NEIPA, had a pack of London Fog and made a 1.5L starter. I somewhat ran into what I though might be dead yeast. Didn't see much activity in the airlock (yes I use one after 24 hours). I don't have a stir plate to I just swirl it every so often. I got a yeast ring and the starter was a milky yellow after 48 hours. I feel like it was just slow so I pitched anyways as it was my last pack.

Didn't see much activity until 12 hours. Then it was a little. At 24 hours it was like bigger chunks floating around so it was off, but slow. I only had maybe .5L of headpsace and normally that's guaranteed blowoff...Finally around day 4 it picked up with mild blowoff and now on day 8 it's finally slowing down.

Anything I need to be worried about or should look for? I fermented at 65 (temp controlled).

When it comes to starters I've done more shakin not stirred starters . Takes about 18 hrs and works great. So if your pressed for time starter wise give it a shot. Like Trippr said gravity check will tell you everything.

A gravity check might allay your concerns...

Cheers!
I should have checked the starter gravity but in all honesty, I know it’s fermenting, very visible for the last three days. My main concern now is how slow it took to get going and if there is anything to worry about because of that.

Latest posts

Back