Sloped bottom mash tun/ two vessel system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakfri

Vegetable beef
Reaction score
I currently brew using a single 15 gallon kettle that is heated with an electric element controlled by a PID. I do either extract with specialty grain or BIAB.

I want to slowly work my way to a three vessel all grain setup. What is the feasibility of setting up a two tier set up where I use my curret kettle as a HLT/BK and buy another kettle and elevate it using it as a mash tun? I could use a pump to move water from the lower vessel to the the upper vessel, over the grain bed, and allow the wort to flow through the grain bed using gravity down to the lower vessel which would control mash temp.

So my questions are:
Do you think it will work?

Does anyone make a mash tun with a sloped bottom beside the SS brewtech?

Thank you and Happy Independence Day in advance.

I'm more than happy with BIAB. I just want to continue to improve in incriments if possible. I just am shooting for a happy medium before I drop more than $1000, maybe $1500 on going all grain, three vessel, two pumps and more electronics.

I'm more than happy with BIAB. I just want to continue to improve in incriments if possible. I just am shooting for a happy medium before I drop more than $1000, maybe $1500 on going all grain, three vessel, two pumps and more electronics.
You might be surprised how many people have switched from 3-vessel to single-vessel in the past few years. There are a lot of really convenient eBIAB systems out there that cost a lot less than a 3-vessel to buy or build.

3-vessel isn't inherently an improvement, unless there is a specific reason you want that?

To directly answer the question: yes, it will work. seen many systems like that (2-vessel recirculating mash, like the blichman breweasy)

Yep, I went backwards. After about 20 years went from 3V to a 1V Grainfather. Couldn't be happier and will never look back.

Cheers!

BIAB is amazing. I just enjoy
Yep, I went backwards. After about 20 years went from 3V to a 1V Grainfather. Couldn't be happier and will never look back.

Cheers!

I may end up following in your footsteps. But for now I enjoy modifying my setup and experimenting.

Thats great. Experimenting is what it is all about! We all have to figure out what we want out of the hobby and, for many, the tinkering aspect is part of the attraction. I certainly was for me for many years. You never know, you might have more fun experimenting with a 3V system and a fly-sparge. It is good to recognize, however, that there is no right or wrong, or better or worse, way to brew beer.. ..just the best way for us as individual hobbyists. we can make great beer a large number of different ways!

Thats great. Experimenting is what it is all about! We all have to figure out what we want out of the hobby and, for many, the tinkering aspect is part of the attraction. I certainly was for me for many years. You never know, you might have more fun experimenting with a 3V system and a fly-sparge. It is good to recognize, however, that there is no right or wrong, or better or worse, way to brew beer.. ..just the best way for us as individual hobbyists. we can make great beer a large number of different ways!

I couldn't agree more. I've made less than stellar beer in my career and enjoyed doing it. I love the experimentation.

Does anyone other than ss brewtech make a sloped bottom kettle? If I'm gonna have the MT elevated cip becomes more important and a sloped floor would be nice.

Back