Slivers (or splinters)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evanmars

EAC Wannabe
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I was reading the thread about the Taint Injury and some of the comments made me think of this story.

About a month ago, last Saturday in August, weekend before school started, my daughter was at a friend's house and got a sliver in her foot. Not too surprising, she never has learned, in her 12 years, how to pick her feet up when she walks.

Anyway, I get a call from her saying that I need to come down to look at it. She won't let anybody else touch it. I get there and check it out with a pair of tweezers and some hydrogen peroxide. She showed me a large piece that she pulled out, and I found a tiny piece still in the rather good sized wound.

Figured that was that, but the next day, her foot was swollen and she couldn't walk on it, so we took her to Urgent Care, it being Sunday and the doctor's office was closed. The doctor there numbed the area of the wound up with a long, thin hypodermic needle (which my daughter didn't enjoy very much, to say the least). He then took a scalpel and widened the wound a bit so that he could root around in there a bit more easily. He didn't find any more of the splinter.

This is the after math of that:

IMG_4282.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

Doctor gave her a prescription for some antibiotics and a little boot to wear for a week.
I had her soaking her foot every day in some hot water with epsom salts.
So, she started school on the following Tuesday, and of course, her first class was gym. But, she had a doctor's note that excused her from participating for the week.
Anyway, she hobbled around all week, not being able to put any real weight on her foot because it hurt too much. Thought maybe she was milking it a bit, but it was still a bit swollen, with a bit of pus, but otherwise, very clean looking.
The next Saturday rolls around and we're looking at the wound and notice a tiny black speck in it. Oh, look! A little bit more of the splinter was still in it!
I tell her to just try to pick it out. She does and what happened next really surprised us.
This is what she pulled out, the little spur on the left of the big piece was what we saw, the little piece at the top broke off of the right end of the big piece:

20140906_102732.jpg

Ever hear the saying, "But wait! There's more!" ?
Well there was, this is what she pulled out the next day. The bottom piece.
Immediately after, she was able to jump and dance around.
Can't imagine why it hurt so much....

20140906_114119.jpg

That's the thing with splinters. They're so satisfying to remove, and if it still hurts, it nearly always means there is still some left inside.
And that looks like one big splinter!

That is no splinter! That's a 2x4!
The doctor couldn't locate it? That stinks. Is she all good now? It could have been even worse I bet. Glad she found all that after all and got it out. The worst splinter I had was embedded under my nail. I was sanding the edge of a vanity I built and just hit my nail against the wood jamming a large piece under my nail. I actually thought I was going to be sick. I'm a wuss though.

I was hauling some brush on my yard last year and one bush slapped me in the knee. I got a little poke from a thorn, but thought nothing of it. Barely hurt and barely bled.

A few days later it's fairly red and sore. I'm digging with tweezers, but I can't see or feel anything in there. Next day I decide there IS something in there, so I get a knife and tweezers and ask my wife to hold a flashlight so I can see better. I cut a little bit and see a black spot. It's the tip of the thorn that had impaled my knee.

I try grabbing and no luck. I squeeze a bit and this thorn shoots out. Makes my wife jump. It's about 23 mm in length, embedded straight into my knee, just below the cap.

A little triple antibiotic and a bandaid and I was good to go!

I think that doc should have been able to see those large pieces of splinter if he was really looking. I think he pulled out a large chunk and called it a day. Lazy.

That's the thing with splinters. They're so satisfying to remove, and if it still hurts, it nearly always means there is still some left inside.

Ain't that the truth...

That is no splinter! That's a 2x4!
The doctor couldn't locate it? That stinks. Is she all good now? It could have been even worse I bet. Glad she found all that after all and got it out. The worst splinter I had was embedded under my nail. I was sanding the edge of a vanity I built and just hit my nail against the wood jamming a large piece under my nail. I actually thought I was going to be sick. I'm a wuss though.

I don't have any spectacular splinter stories, but I have had my share. The worst I got was a small bit of glass from a halogen light bulb under my fingernail. I had just trimmed my nails that morning so when it got under, it got DEEP! It was ungodly painful and only got worse when I needed to get it out. I had some fine medical tweezers but even they were too fat to get under my nail. All I could do was dig around with a needle until the blood got too thick or the pain was too much, then put my finger in ice water to numb it back up. Funny part about needles, they don't grab glass so well. Every 5 minutes or so for an hour and a half until it finally came out.

Oh, the relief!!!

It's the tip of the thorn that had impaled my knee.

I try grabbing and no luck. I squeeze a bit and this thorn shoots out. Makes my wife jump. It's about 23 mm in length, embedded straight into my knee, just below the cap.

23 mm is almost an inch! Was it from a locust tree?

My son was about 5 and we went to my fiancee's parents house to hang out and eat dinner. Son decided to go out on the wooden deck and jump on it, despite my warning to put shoes on right before he went out.
All of a sudden he let out a huge scream. Checked on him and we looked at the bottom of his foot and the splinter was huuuuuuge. 2"x10"
It took 5 of us to hold my son down while her dad cut it open and pulled out the splinter. It was a good 20 minute struggle.

Back