Slightly sweet cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainkirk83

Reaction score
I would like to make a cider with a little residual sweetness and was thinking of steeping some crystal malts in juice on the stovetop then fermenting with some Nottingham yeast.
Similar to graff but lower abv since there is no added fermentables and excluding the hops. Has anyone had success with a similar recipe

http://perfectpint.blogspot.com/2013/06/graff-cider-tasting.html
The recipe for this is in the link on the second page. I am guessing you want a very dry cider, by using Notty. Notty does not add anything flavor wise to the brew. There are very nice fruity flavors in English Ale yeasts when fermenting near the upper limit temperature wise. I use ESB 1968 yeast for my house yeast. Ales, Porters, Ciders, etc., I particularly like this yeast in the making of cider as it has medium attenuation, clears well, and brings the malt forward without being cloyingly sweet IMHO.

Thanks for the link and yeast suggestion. I think I will choose a lower attenuating yeast to help keep the sweetness intact. I was thinking notty just because I had some around but I think it will be worth trying something else.

Back