Slightly fermented honey for mead.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homergah

Only I didn't say fudge
Reaction score
I'm a beekeeper. I've been brewing beer and making wine for a couple of decades, more or less. I've always wanted to tackle mead, but I usually sell out of honey within a few days of packaging. But this time I saved some back. It was not my best honey. I had a weak hive that I pulled most of the honey from and combined the bees with another hive. A good portion of the honey was green, i.e. had not been capped. Which means the water content was still too high. Which means it will ferment in the jar if left on the shelf of your shop. No biggie, it was tagged for mead production, in June. Life got in the way of living and now I have about 100 lbs of slightly sour honey. Any reason I can't use this for mead. I was planning on a 1 gallon BOMM to start. This may give me an idea of how to proceed in the future. Thinking I might want to heat honey to 160f long enough to kill wild bacteria before mixing with water. Any thoughts?

How many 1 gal carboys do you have?

I personally would start with a 1.060 spontaneous, a 1.130 spontaneous, a 1 gal BOMM pasteurized, and 1 gal raw 1.120 with D47 + TOSNA protocol.
That's an interesting variety to keep you busy and give a good mix of meads to see what direction you want to take afterwards.

How many 1 gal carboys do you have?

I personally would start with a 1.060 spontaneous, a 1.130 spontaneous, a 1 gal BOMM pasteurized, and 1 gal raw 1.120 with D47 + TOSNA protocol.
That's an interesting variety to keep you busy and give a good mix of meads to see what direction you want to take afterwards.
Great! Now I gotta look up what all that **** is! Lol Thanks!
I was actually doing the BOMM in the bottled water jug. But if those other methods are longer running I guess I'll use the 2 gallon wine jugs I have and my 1 gallon carboy.
Thanks!

Back