Slight Mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxTheSpy

Reaction score
Alright, I was making my second batch of mead came back from the store with 4 little containers of natural honey, and Failed to realise that two of the containers were slightly larger.

Its a 1` gallon batch though I used more like 4 pounds instead of 3. The airlock has a little activity though not a ton. Let me know if this is going to be a problem or if the mead just wont start to ferment with that much honey, Please and thanks

Using Redstar Premier Cuvee yeast, 3.95 -4 pounds honey, topped off with water. and 10 raisons

Might need some actual nutrients with that high gravity. also it won't ferment very quickly with whole raisins in my experience. Chopped has easier access to the nutrients.

Or, because you said it was fermenting some, just let it ride and check the gravity on occasion. If it sticks, just deal with that when the time comes.

You have a OG of somewhere around 1.148. That would net you almost 19.5% ABV if it were to go dry. Redstar will can handle up to 18%(ish) but you probably sent it into osmotic shock.
How long ago did you pitch?
Don't toss it, this can be fixed. I would add some nutrient to this. I would also check the ph, it might be pretty low. You could also rack off some of the must, and replace with water. That will lower your SG. Keep what you racked off sealed tightly in the fridge and use to replace what is lost due to sampling.

You do have a hydrometer, right? If not, get one. You need it.

Hydrometer reading on day 2 (I forgot on day 1) was 1.150. looks to be going alright. Pretty slow though. And @Drewed what is osmotic shock?

Osmotic shock or osmotic stress is physiologic dysfunction caused by a sudden change in the solute concentration around a cell, which causes a rapid change in the movement of water across its cell membrane.

:D (I almost did a lmgtfy link instead, haha)

I hadnt thought about too much sugar being an issue before, I know that too high an OG can create enough alcohol to kill the yeast before it finishes its job, though it makes sense that yeast is more complicated than I give them credit for!

Sugar puts pressure, called osmotic pressure, on the walls of the yeast cells. There is a limit to how much pressure they can tolerate. Pitching yeast into high gravity must can shock them (thanks tony for the definition) and the ferment can either stall or not start at all.

@maylar
Could osmotic shock be simplified as the water content in the yeast cell is greater than that of the must, and therefore the water vacates the cell in a shot at equilibrium, thusly dehydrating the cell?

Beats me. I'm going by what I've read on wine forums and yeast vendors. I tried reading up on it one day and it made my head hurt. I'm an EE, not a microbiologist.

@maylar
Could osmotic shock be simplified as the water content in the yeast cell is greater than that of the must, and therefore the water vacates the cell in a shot at equilibrium, thusly dehydrating the cell?

Close enough!:mug:

Sugar puts pressure, called osmotic pressure, on the walls of the yeast cells. There is a limit to how much pressure they can tolerate. Pitching yeast into high gravity must can shock them (thanks tony for the definition) and the ferment can either stall or not start at all.

What would you reccomend that I do to fix this?

For you current mead?
1. Take a SG reading as see what it is.
2. Check again in a couple o' three days, if it has dropped, then you are on your way, slowly. If it hasn't dropped then:
3. Rack off some of the must, and replace with water. That will lower your SG. Keep what you racked off sealed tightly in the fridge and use to replace what is lost due to sampling.

If you mean in the future.
1. Start with a lower OG
2. Properly hydrate your yeast, or make a starter
3. Do a staggered nutrient addition and or Step Feed it more honey if you want to make uber high gravity meads.

wholly chit. There was a lot of comments, Good news everyone. It seems to be fermenting! just very slowly. I started with SG of 1.160 and now it sits around 1.120 just 6 days later. Started on the 22. Let me know if this seems alright or if its going too fast or too slow.

Back