Slight co2 leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gusmedic

Reaction score
Since there aren't enough of these threads....I've been fooling myself I don't have a leak and was just a problem of small tanks, but my 20lb tank just was empty this morning after 4 months and only maybe 4 kegs previously I just sprayed star san and saw no bubbles so I called it good.
After empty tank I put gas lines in cup of water and found one small leak which I tightened. Then I used a very thick solution of soap and water and brushed it on everything (all over regulator and all possible sources from keg) and found no other leak. So last night I turned off gas, and shut off valve to each keg. This morning when I turned on gas and each shut off valve a decent amount of gas went into each keg one at a time. So does this confirm both kegs still have a leak? Both have been on gas for a month or more. Any advice would be appreciated. I do plan on on disconnecting from gas and placing each keg in a tub of water to check that way.

I'm not certain of this but when you turn off the gass to the kegs. The gas in the keg will continue to go into solution when the beer is cold. I often unhook kegs in my kegerator that have been carbonated and when I hook them back up they take on some gas.

^That^ is totally true if the beer carbonation has not reached equilibrium given the temperature and CO2 pressure.
The only solid way to test a keg is when it is empty.

[...]I do plan on on disconnecting from gas and placing each keg in a tub of water to check that way.

That would save you a lot of time, aggravation and gas - once the keg is empty.
If you have some duct tape - or even masking tape - you can build a pond atop the keg, fill it with sanitized water with the gas disconnect attached, and see if there are any bubbles...

Cheers!

Back