Sleepy Lion Imperial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackwhite

Reaction score
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP007
Yeast Starter: yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.0
Original Gravity: 1.083
Final Gravity: 1.015
IBU: 155
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 12.2
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 30
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 30
Tasting Notes: Not brewed yet

Want to make a special event IPA for a concert on Labor Day. This is what I am working on but could use some help. plan on brewing soonish.

70-75% efficiency

12 lbs 2-row
1.5 lbs Rye
1 lbs Victory
0.5 lbs Crystal 15L
1 oz Roasted Barley (for color...maybe)

Magnum, Cascade, Centenial & Citra 1 oz each FWH
MAgnum, Cascade, Centennial & Citra 1 oz each Whirlpool/Hopstand 30" at 200F

Then Dry hop but with ??? and how much??? how long.

I'd lose the Magnum for the hopstand, since you won't get much flavor from it. You could just dry hop with an ounce of each of your flavor hops. Do you really want to bitter with four ounces of hops? I feel like that will be a really unpleasant amount of bitterness.

If you want to go for 100+ IBUs, I would put both ounces of Magnum at the start of the boil (no need to FWH a clean bittering hop like Magnum, but you can if you wish), take all the other FWH hops away, then 2 oz each of your flavoring hops in the whirlpool. You could stand to wait until the kettle's closer to 180-190 for your whirlpool as well, but that's up to you - earlier means more bitterness, later means more aroma.

For the dry hop, you could do the same mix or load it with whichever of your aroma hops you like best. If it were me, I would probably give it an ounce each of Cascade and Centennial and then two or three ounces of Citra, because I like the in-your-face avalanche of citrus and bubblegum I get from it.

Oh, and more important than tweaking the current recipe: don't brew this until July. IPAs are best young, so brewing five and a half months in advance is not a good idea unless this is just a trial run to dial in the recipe. If you're kegging, you could always toss a fresh dry hop into the keg a couple days before the concert, but it wouldn't be as good as drinking it fresh.

Back