Sleepless in Seattle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kacyhowerton

Reaction score
Ok...I am having no trouble sleeping, but I am looking for some buddies to brew with or swap ideas. Anyone in Kirkland or Redmond, WA (or close) know of any good clubs, groups, meets? I recently switched to all grain and would love to have more people to reach out to for answers other than my local homebrew shop (mountain homebrew rules). I'm new to this forum so...hit me up however :rockin: :tank:

I'm in Oly. Any questions, feel free to PM me. I've got pics of my rig in my gallery. Fellow AG guy here. Welcome to the forum

Hi Kacy, welcome to the forum. Lots and lots of brewers in the area and several really good clubs. Here is a link to the Washington Homebrewers Association which is the WA state homebrew site with links to all the clubs in WA and lots of other good links and info.
http://www.wahomebrewers.org/community/clubs?task=category&sectionid=5

I live in Everett, work 2nd shift in Redmond, and belong to the HB club GEBL (Greater Everett Brewers League). You can give a shout out anytime you like and I'll help with questions if I can. I also brew fairly frequently and welcome company when I brew. I highly recommend checking out some local clubs. I think Cascade Brewers Guild may meet at Mountain Homebrew.

Cheers

I'm fairly new to brewing, haven't gone to AG yet (live in an apartment), but I came to post the link that Zen Brew posted. Not sure if i'd be as much help as these other two guys, but I wouldn't mind bouncing ideas back and forth with ya if you wanted to.

EDIT: I'm in Seattle proper (belltown).

welcome!
I live in Kirkland (Finn Hill). PM me and I'll let you know the next time we brew. Mountain Homebrew has some great people, but VERY high prices. :( I had some buddies who went up to the Everett homebrew club and said they were a bunch of great people.

Wow! Thanks for the feedback guys! I am really looking forward to getting to know some of you that are close and swapping ideas/recipes.

Hey Kevywevy...I'm curious where do you pick up supplies if not Mountain Homebrew? I totally agree that the people are great but very expensive.

Hey, welcome to the forum. I also joined recently and have been stoked on the quality of people in here. I am up in BC and visit family in WA so I get down there alot. You are right Mtn Homebrew is a great shop and one that I like to go through when I can.
Anyways, I am no brewmaster by any means but I like the idea of brainstorming recipes and yackin' about beer!

I'm also new to the forum. I live in Bothell/Kenmore... work in Redmond. I really like Bob's Homebrew in the U district. Bob is really nice and helpful, and the prices are a lot better than Mountain Homebrew.
I'm just starting out with all grain and finding I'm not hitting my FG. I think I'm not aerating enough before pitching the yeast (full wort boil removing the O2). I'm going to Bob's tomorrow to get a regulator for a disposable O2 tank and some ingredients for my next batch. I'm going to try a Rogue Dead Guy Ale Clone from the recipes section... can't wait.

Hey Matt,
Does Bob have a kit for the Dead Guy clone? or are you piecing it together on your own? Such a good brew!

I'm in Bothell as well. Anyone go to homebrew heaven in Everett? The prices seem a bit better than Mtn homebrew, but I haven't been in yet. I just moved here from FL, so it's good to know there are clubs around.

Dickson, I'm a few blocks from Bob's. I recall he has a Rogue kit, though not sure if it's dead guy. But I think he was piecing it together from a recipe he found here.

I know that Bob does have the pac man yeast in, if that helps.

I'm in Bothell as well. Anyone go to homebrew heaven in Everett? The prices seem a bit better than Mtn homebrew, but I haven't been in yet. I just moved here from FL, so it's good to know there are clubs around.

Homebrew Heaven is a really good homebrew shop with lots of selection, and reasonable prices. I shop there often.

Also the Cellar in north Seattle has good prices on grain if you buy a grain card for $50. Basicaly you are buying bulk grain in advance for a 25% discount over per lb prices and they just deduct the purchase amount each time you come in.

Hey Kevywevy...I'm curious where do you pick up supplies if not Mountain Homebrew? I totally agree that the people are great but very expensive.

from the few things I've purchased at Bob's near UW, the prices are the same as Mountain Homebrew. I bought some keg stuff, yeast and DME for a starter and i think i might have saved $1.

i've only been to homebrew heaven once, but work somewhat close to it and i need to check it out more.

for grain, you can't beat Larry's down in Kent for 55# bags it's around $40 if i remember correctly. if you're going all grain you might as well buy in bulk and get a mill. a little up front cost, but pays off quickly.

for other things, i wait til i know of multiple things that i need to buy and then order from Northern Brewer.

If you look at things like PBW (8#) Mountain Homebrew charges $60. Northern Brewer charges $37+$8 flat rate shipping =$45, so even with shipping you're still saving $15. if you buy other things that are a few bucks cheaper, it's even better. $7 difference between the largest star san.

Homebrew Heaven is a really good homebrew shop with lots of selection, and reasonable prices. I shop there often.

Also the Cellar in north Seattle has good prices on grain if you buy a grain card for $50. Basicaly you are buying bulk grain in advance for a 25% discount over per lb prices and they just deduct the purchase amount each time you come in.

that's a really cool system!

I've been thinking about buying bulk...especially 2 row, but I'll definitely check out the Cellar! Thanks for the tip

I bought a bag of 2 row (great wester malting) from Bob's HB for 50 bucks. Mountain HB had it for the same and the Cellar was pushing the grain card and I was unclear on the final price.

If you're ever down in Portland for a weekend, go to Brew Brothers in Hillsboro (www.brewbrothers.biz)... they have 50Lb bags of 2 row for 30 bucks.

Back