Sláinte from Upstate NY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3_Creepio

Reaction score
Sláinte! - (literally means "health" in Irish, but most commonly used as a drinking toast, to anyone unfamiliar. Pronounced SLAHN-Cha)

:mug:

I found this forum while researching the homebrewing process and have found myself Googling back here to multiple helpful threads while preparing to make my first batch. Now that it's in the fermenter and I have a couple of questions, I figured it was time to join. Everyone here seems super helpful and enthusiastic about homebrewing, so I'm excited to be here!

I'm a professional chef/cook with about 18 years experience in the business, currently working as a country club sous chef near Syracuse, NY. I "grew up" on industrial beers like Labatt's Blue, but always drifted toward more enjoyable ales from Saranac and Smithwick's red ale from Ireland. Then one day I tried Ithaca Beer Co.'s CASCA ZILLA red ale (now more appropriately renamed "red IPA") and everything changed. I am constantly seeking out new craft beers to try, and even though CASCA ZILLA remains my staple, I'll take anything from Sierra Nevada and Southern Tier.

After a few years with my eyes wide open, I started considering making my own homebrew, so I read Charlie Papazian's Complete Guide earlier this year, and then received a starter kit as a wedding gift in July.

I know there are other places in the forum to ask questions like this, but I still need to familiarize myself a little, so I'll just fire it off right here and see if anything sticks:

It's a Muntons Gold IPA kit, which has some specific recipe requirements, including a 7-8 day primary fermentation before bottling. My problem is that the target SG is 1.014, and after two weeks of fermentation, the SG still sits too high at 1.020. There looks to still be some yeast activity, it's just taking much longer than the recipe says it should.

So my question is, should I just wait until it reaches the target SG? Or should I try something a little more aggressive, like repitch more yeast? I don't have a secondary fermenter yet, so I suppose I could try that. Any suggestions would be great. Right now I'm leaning toward just waiting.

Nice to be here!

You could give it more time, but I'm guessing its done. 1.020 is a commonly FG from that sort of kit.

Now that you got the idea down....let loose with some unhopped DME, crushed grains, and fresh yeast and brew some great beer!

Thanks, broadbill. You are probably right, given that the SG has not changed much in the last few days. It is a starter kit and a gift, after all, so if it doesn't come out great it's no big loss. I will probably dry hop it today and bottle in a few days.

You're right, however, that the whole point was just to get my feet wet. What I'm really looking forward to is trying just that; some partial boil recipes with unhopped extract and a combination of lots of hops. After that I can move on to some more complicated brews, but for right now I'm just happy to be started.

Sláinte maith creepio!

I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as the gravity has remained the same the past few days you should be ready to bottle. It never hurts to let it sit longer than a kit will tell you. Yeast creates by-products during fermentation and once the sugar has been consumed (giving you your FG) it will go back and consume those by-products. So I personally let my batch sit a little longer to get a cleaner beer as the yeast consume their by-products. Also, check out John Palmers book How to Brew. Its a good read.

Welcome to the board and enjoy homebrewing!

Welcome to the group, from CO. I think beer and food pairings are fascinating (IPA and cheesecake, go figure), I hope your experience can contribute in the forum!

I'm originally from Syracuse, now living in Omaha. 7 or 8 day fermentation before bottling isn't enough. I would give it at least another week or two. It takes awhile for the yeast to settle and the beer to clear. I usually let it sit in the fermenter at least 3 weeks (usually more depending when I get time to bottle or keg). Although patience is the most difficult part of homebrewing, it definitely pays off in the long run. Good luck!

Thanks, everyone.

I successfully bottled my first batch of beer yesterday. I did let it sit in the fermenter a lot longer than the kit recipe stated. As far as I know, there's nothing wrong with it. Now I just have to let it sit a little longer. I'm thinking about getting a mini fridge for my basement, which would be fun. The beer is cloudy, so after the two or three days of bottle conditioning I might move six or so right to the fridge to help them clear up a little faster, as I read somewhere that this works. I'm excited to try one of them, and already planning the next batch.

Hey 3 Creepio,

Welcome aboard, I live about an hour and a half west of syracuse, if you haven't tried them yet, be sure to give the beers from Horseheads Brewery a try. I love their Tow Path and Expadition Ales.:D Good stuff!

Horseheads Brewing is great. I also love Upstate Brewing's (also in Horseheads) Wheat based IPA. Hopshire Brewing is a brand new Farm-brewery in Freeville (between Cortland and Ithaca) which was founded by a fellow Ithaca homebrewer, and is my new favorite local brewery.

Speaking of Cascazilla...do you agree that the flavor has changed for the worse? It used to be one of my favorites, but it just seems super sweet to me lately...

Thanks, everyone.

I successfully bottled my first batch of beer yesterday. I did let it sit in the fermenter a lot longer than the kit recipe stated. As far as I know, there's nothing wrong with it. Now I just have to let it sit a little longer. I'm thinking about getting a mini fridge for my basement, which would be fun. The beer is cloudy, so after the two or three days of bottle conditioning I might move six or so right to the fridge to help them clear up a little faster, as I read somewhere that this works. I'm excited to try one of them, and already planning the next batch.

Welcome to the forum. Your going to want to let those bottles condition for at least 3-4 weeks. I'd try 1 or 2 along the way so you can see how it progresses. They need time to carbonate properly. I'd then put them in the fridge for a few days before trying. Check out Middle Ages and CBC if you haven't already.

Welcome to the obsession friend.

I'm in Albany now, but originally from Auburn. Great to see all of the breweries popping up in the Fingerlakes. Central and Western New York are putting the Capital District to shame.

Happy brewing!

Welcome to the forum. Your going to want to let those bottles condition for at least 3-4 weeks. I'd try 1 or 2 along the way so you can see how it progresses. They need time to carbonate properly. I'd then put them in the fridge for a few days before trying. Check out Middle Ages and CBC if you haven't already.

I definitely intend to bottle condition for at least another 3 weeks. The Muntons recipe says let it go at room temp for only 3 days and then move to refrigeration for the remaining 3 weeks, which I thought was a little weird. I also do plan on trying one or two along the way. On the upside, the beer has already cleared up significantly from the cloudiness at bottling.

I don't live too far from Middle Ages brewing. Their Wailing Wench is a top-of-its-class kind of ale, something that tastes like it was specifically made for cask sampling.

Welcome aboard, I live about an hour and a half west of syracuse, if you haven't tried them yet, be sure to give the beers from Horseheads Brewery a try. I love their Tow Path and Expadition Ales.:D Good stuff!

There's a great craft beer pub in Syracuse called J. Ryan's, and they always seem to have one or two selections from Horseheads on tap. They are very pro-NY state beer, and give a lot of room to beers from around the local region. I've tried some Horseheads and liked it all.

Great to see all of the breweries popping up in the Fingerlakes.

I know! It's crazy, but in a crazy good way. Craft beer has really taken off around here, but I feel like that is only a benefit to everyone.

Speaking of Cascazilla...do you agree that the flavor has changed for the worse? It used to be one of my favorites, but it just seems super sweet to me lately...

You might be right, but I'm not 100% sure. I had a hard time finding any Ithaca beers (except for Flower Power) last year while they were building a new brewery and transferring production to their new location. Along the way, they changed the packaging of CascaZilla and reclassified it from "Red Ale" to Red IPA. Could they have changed their recipe as well? I suppose, but I kind of doubt it. I've been meaning to make a trip down to the new brewery for some sampling and purchases, so I will ask around about this while I'm there and get back to you. As far as I'm concerned, it's still the best beer around.

I definitely intend to bottle condition for at least another 3 weeks. The Muntons recipe says let it go at room temp for only 3 days and then move to refrigeration for the remaining 3 weeks, which I thought was a little weird. I also do plan on trying one or two along the way. On the upside, the beer has already cleared up significantly from the cloudiness at bottling.

I don't live too far from Middle Ages brewing. Their Wailing Wench is a top-of-its-class kind of ale, something that tastes like it was specifically made for cask sampling.

If you put the bottles in the fridge they will stop conditioning. I would ignore those instructions and read this thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/

I've never tried wailing wench yet. It's on my list of beers to try.

Thank you very much. There is a lot to read in that thread, but I will go through and take some notes before starting my next batch. Much appreciated.

Middle Ages put out a 15th Anniversary Double Wench, clocking in at 12% and for the more daring taster. If you can find it, don't pass it up. You can't go wrong with their staple IPA, ImPaled Ale, and for something maltier I've always loved their Scotch Ale called Kilt Tilter. Here's a list.

I have had the Duke and the Dragon slayer. I have a Druid fluid and a dragon slayer I'm aging. I haven't made it to the brewery yet, but I will.

My first batch will be ready to taste in a week, so I'm thinking about starting a second batch before then.

Since I had some issues with fermentation and my final gravity being to high, I'm thinking about using a yeast starter this time around. I've read through some threads here and looked up some videos on YouTube, and I think I have it figured out.

I'm going to get a glass flask that I've seen used, even though I understand it can be done with a growler, but since I might want to get a stir plate some time in the future, I think it's a wise investment at this point.

I haven't formulated a recipe yet, but I want to make a light colored, very clear IPA that is both a higher ABV but a little lower in IBU, though still hoppy and aromatic. I might try steeping some grains for the first time as well, and possibly get a secondary fermenter for dry hopping. If anyone has any thoughts or recipes for this kind of beer, I would love to hear them. I've done a lot of searching for recipes, but haven't stumbled across the exact thing I'm looking for.

Latest posts

Back