Skunking first hand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chillHayze

Reaction score
I am drinking a pale ale I made in Vermont. I set a few outside to chill (today) and then stuck them in the fridge. The ones set outside for just a few hours are noticably a little bit skunky. They were in Grolsh bottles, which as you know, are green.

Just wanted everyone to know that 3 hours of indirect sunlight on a cloudy New Youk winter day is enough to skunk a beer in a green bottle. Let my loss be your gain...

Its for that reason alone that I know longer buy beer that's in a green or clear bottle unless its been enclosed in a cardboard box most of its life.

I also don't use said bottles anymore for the same problem that you had.

:)

I had some badly skunked Grolsh one time, before I really knew what the heck anything was supposed to taste like. There'd be no way I'd drink the same thing today.

david_42 said:
The UV isn't blocked much by clouds. And the hoppier the ale the faster it goes.

That makes sence as this is over 100 IBU.

I will make these 4 bottles as "Imported".

Ok, here it goes.

I like skunky beers.

There, I said it... now throw your hate words at me, I can take it.

Pellets can be a little messy. I go with whole. You do get better utilization out of pellets if you use them in the boil, though.

*need vomiting smiley* :D

You must've protected your Hoppy Hefe in the Grolsch bottle from the sun. (Santa swap) Chill. It was righteous!

Ize

Ize said:
You must've protected your Hoppy Hefe in the Grolsch bottle from the sun. (Santa swap) Chill. It was righteous!

Ize

It all stays in a dark closet in boxes so that explains that. The hoppy hefe, I regret to say, is out of stock... Unless bird still has one around.

SWMBO isn't a huge beer drinker, but she really liked both of the hefe's you sent. Excellent beers and thanks again!

Ize

chillHayze said:
It all stays in a dark closet in boxes so that explains that. The hoppy hefe, I regret to say, is out of stock... Unless bird still has one around.

GOD NO!

That was a good beer - not sure I'd call it any kind of hefe, but good. I found one rolling around the car that I'm not sure if you meant to leave behind or not, but in any case - it's gone!

So what your saying is the Heiny taste of Heiniken is skunky beer? Old Latrobe stuff is kind of like that too. it's because of the green glass and how sun light can degrade the been inside? Wow. I'm glad I just keg my beer and have never bottled it. Bottling looks like you could have more varieties on hand to drink but the keg is easy and convienient.

Yeah, most heine sits out in the bottles under flourescent light (similar to sunlight), and the iso-acids in the hops get converted to skunk juice.

That's why Pilsner Urquell sucks in the bottle but is quite good in the keg.

Back