"Skip" Brew Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin30R

Reaction score
When I was growing up we would occasionally have a dinner where we just purged the fridge of left overs. Usually on a Thursday night. Dinner that night was called "Skip" (mom coined the phrase). Well, I was just going through my grain store noticed that I have very little left (with some of what is left coming from before I went all grain).

I thought maybe I could just make a "Skip" beer ...

Here is what I am thinking for a 3 gallon BIAB beer:

Ingredients:
------------
3 lbs - Pale Malt (2 Row) US
1 lbs 8.0 oz - Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
8.0 oz - Black (Patent) Malt
3.0 oz - Chocolate Malt
1 lbs - Dark Dry Extract

I have a few onces of Northern Brewer hops, was thinking I'd throw 1/2 at the beginning and 1/2 with 5 minutes to go, and use a pack of Nottingham dry yeast.

I can up the Black Patent Malt and also the C40L ... and 1 pound of dark brown sugar as well. Know that this is an exercise mostly for fun (and to use up the little grain that I have left).

What do you think?

How did it turn out?

I just remembered that I have 3#s of Carapils ... Now I'm thinking of making 4 gallons with the following:

Ingredients:
------------
3 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM)
3.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
1 lbs Dark Dry Extract (17.5 SRM)
8.0 oz Brown Sugar, Dark (50.0 SRM)
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min
1.0 pkg Nottingham (Danstar #-) [23.66 ml]

Previously ... I had nothing to do tonight. Looks like that has changed!

That's a lot of black patent for a 3 gallon batch. That's just my opinion though...

That's a lot of black patent for a 3 gallon batch. That's just my opinion though...

I actually agree with you. I have 10oz remaining and the goal was to use up everything I had left. I think I'm bumping from 3 to 4 gallon, from 1.5# to 2# of carapils, and then cutting back the BPM to 4oz; however.

Should be interesting. It may not be good, but lets hope it is drinkable!

I'm interested to know how it turns out. Mash low if you're using that much Carapils, as it will increase body and sweetness. I'd aim for 148.

I did a 75 minute mash bouncing all over between 145 and 158, though it spent more time near 145 than 158 ... I've never done BIAB in a before and temp control was definitely not my strong suit last night.

It is fermenting like the devil right now (I'm assuming that if the devil were to ferment, he'd do so with vigor).

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how this comes out. Normally I'm pretty careful with my brews, it was pretty fun just to throw a bunch of stuff in a pot to see what happens last night.

Cheers!

Back