Skinning a Keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rcole

Reaction score
I think its to narrow, but you can skin your own to looks like that.

-=Jason=-

I think its to narrow, but you can skin your own to looks like that.

-=Jason=-

I don't mean this specific island, but rather do people think it would be possible to modify an island like this so that you would, say, simply roll it over the chest freezer, and roll it away to change kegs?

Thanks,
Bob

Thats a neat idea. As long as the inner dimensions are large enough. I assume you would use a tower? You said keezer, but if you are planning on using a chest, how will you open the lid to load. Also, If you plan on using a rolling island like the one in your link you want to make sure the casters and base can support the weight.

Not mine but it looks like this was done using a stock cabinet like HD or lowes carries. (from the "Show Us your Kegerator" thread);
Finished my kegerator about a month a go. Now im hooked on kegging

imag0283r.jpg

imag0280n.jpg

imag0279d.jpg

As long as you have room for air circulation I don't see a problem. The outer skin of the keezer emits the heat.

Thats a neat idea. As long as the inner dimensions are large enough. I assume you would use a tower? You said keezer, but if you are planning on using a chest, how will you open the lid to load. Also, If you plan on using a rolling island like the one in your link you want to make sure the casters and base can support the weight.

As long as you have room for air circulation I don't see a problem. The outer skin of the keezer emits the heat.

Thanks for the reply. What I had in mind was to cut out the floor of the island, as well as the back panel, thereby enabling me to roll the thing over the chest freezer to encase it on three sides and the top.

When I needed to change kegs, I would just roll the island off and away from the freezer. My thinking is to run the tap lines through the front of the freezer between the lid and the front wall. These would then feed into the tower mounted on the island's tabletop (the lines would not go though the top of the freezer lid, they would lay in the head space between the freezer lid and the island top). There would be enough slack in the lines that I could roll the island away just enough to get clearance to open the freezer lid.

Thoughts on a design like this?

Thanks,
Bob

Those lines might get pretty warm sitting inside the island. So the first beer or so might have to go down the drain. Not the greatest use of beer if you end up having to dump a beer everyday. You will have to insulate those lines well so you don't end up wasting too much beer.

Those lines might get pretty warm sitting inside the island. So the first beer or so might have to go down the drain. Not the greatest use of beer if you end up having to dump a beer everyday. You will have to insulate those lines well so you don't end up wasting too much beer.

Yes, I hadn't thought about the lines being warm for 3 feet or so. I'll have to ponder that.

Not mine but it looks like this was done using a stock cabinet like HD or lowes carries. (from the "Show Us your Kegerator" thread);

That is is my kegerator and the way i did it was to use two wall mount cabinets from IKEA and bridge the gap with the matching side panels for the cabinet doors also from IKEA. The side panels come in 8 foot sheets so there is a lot you can do with it. Most refrigerators /freezers are different depth than the standard counter top depth so it is likely to have to be custom built.

That is is my kegerator and the way i did it was to use two wall mount cabinets from IKEA and bridge the gap with the matching side panels for the cabinet doors also from IKEA. The side panels come in 8 foot sheets so there is a lot you can do with it. Most refrigerators /freezers are different depth than the standard counter top depth so it is likely to have to be custom built.

Thanks for the idea. Can you include a link to IKEA's website so I can so which sie panels you ae talking about>

Bob

image-1558997536.jpg

Trying out just adhering some paneling to the keezer. Invested $10, so if the works, I'll get some nice birch and stain it.

Back