Skeeter Pee - Starting with Dry Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So i made 2 mistakes. I added all of the yeast nutrient ,energizer, and tanin first. should I add 1/3 extra in a couple of days?
I thought I had some Kmeta. I dont. Is it important to have? Should I place a order for just it?

Spreading the additions over the life of the ferment helps the yeast have what they need when they need it. Going too heavy on nutrient and energizer can be a bad thing, but you could probably get away with adding a 1/4 dose later on.

As for the Kmeta, yes, you should order some. Especially if you plan to sweeten your SP at the end. Kmeta along with sorbate will prevent the yeast from starting up again when the new sugar is added. Without the Kmeta/sorbate combo, you will likely get bottle bombs.

If you have campden tablets, it's the same thing as Kmeta. Dosage would be one tablet per gallon of SP.

I made two Carlo jugs of SP this morning. I used dry 1118, and I think I should have let the starter sit longer, but we'll see in a few days. I made some changes to the recipe, to simplify the smaller batch.

My dry yeast batch is doing great. It hammered pretty good with 2 packs Montrachet. I'll try 1 pack on the next batch. Didn't take a reading last week, but I racked to 1st Carboy. Down to .990 today, so I racked to the 2nd carboy and degassed. I'll give a week to clear, re-rack, degass, sparkolloid, and stabilize as per recipe.

My last batch was clearing very well after the same racking schedule, but I hadn't degassed so I ended up stirring it back up before bottling. This should get me really clear and then ready to bottle.

Mine refuses to clear. I have used gelatin on it, but it didn't touch it. I guess I have pee that looks like lemonade. I will bottle it soon.

Well WIP, not sure how clear you are looking. I see the homepage and "serving suggestion" but I'm not sure it would get that clear w/o longterm aging. My first batch was clear enough to see my hand thru the full carboy. But it was isn't what I would call Crystal Clear. Maybe Lon will jump back in and give us some feedback on clearing times. There's SOO much that can't be communicated in a simple forum post.

I am not to worried about it. Of course his knowledge would be interesting, but to me, it isn't a problem. My pee is quite foggy, and I attribute that to the yeast. When using this yeast strain on white wine, it takes about 6-9 months to clear completely. I have a gallon of apfelwein that I started in november and it is still foggy.

I use sparkloid and all my batches come out crystal clear in about 2 weeks.

I've made 2 batches so far with a Red Star Premier Cuv'ee yeast starter, and when dry added Sparkoloid. The first batch was crystal clear in 10 days. I added the Sparkoloid to the 2nd batch Thursday night and it looks almost clear enough to bottle now, but of course I will wait a few days to make sure. The first batch was lemon, and the 2nd. is lemon/lime. There are a lot of variables in winemaking but the Sparkoloid has worked really well for me so far.

I did not use Sparkloid because A) I didn't have it and B) I like to use as few products as possible. (the gelatin was a difficult decision)

The yeast I am using is VL2. It is a Chardonnay yeast primarily. I had some left over from the 2010 harvest.

WIP said:
I did not use Sparkloid because A) I didn't have it and B) I like to use as few products as possible. (the gelatin was a difficult decision)

The yeast I am using is VL2. It is a Chardonnay yeast primarily. I had some left over from the 2010 harvest.

Well I guess your pee just wont be clear. If it doesn't taste yeasty, clear is just esthetics. The yeast should drop out over time, but we use sparkloid because skeeter pee apparently doesn't improve with age.

Hey all! First time posting on the Wine forum and just had a question about swapping out the lemon juice.

I don't really want to use the lemon stuff that the Skeeter Pee recipe calls for, I'm not a big fan of 'From Concentrate' products at all, so I went out in search of something else. I found Italian Volcano 100% Lemon Juice. It is not from concentrate, no Preservatives, nothing at all except for pressed lemon juice. it comes in 33 oz glass bottles so the amounts of actual product-to-recipe will match perfectly.
I've attached a picture of it, do you guys think this would work just fine?
Thanks!

italianvolcanolemonjuice.jpg

Well I guess your pee just wont be clear. If it doesn't taste yeasty, clear is just esthetics. The yeast should drop out over time, but we use sparkloid because skeeter pee apparently doesn't improve with age.

The pee will clear out without sparkaloid. Mine did.

Additives for clearing only clear faster. My ciders and wines always clear out perfectly, with no additives, it just might take a 6-8 weeks from start fo ferment.

jguy - should work fine

Hey all! First time posting on the Wine forum and just had a question about swapping out the lemon juice.

I don't really want to use the lemon stuff that the Skeeter Pee recipe calls for, I'm not a big fan of 'From Concentrate' products at all, so I went out in search of something else. I found Italian Volcano 100% Lemon Juice. It is not from concentrate, no Preservatives, nothing at all except for pressed lemon juice. it comes in 33 oz glass bottles so the amounts of actual product-to-recipe will match perfectly.
I've attached a picture of it, do you guys think this would work just fine?
Thanks!

That stuff should work just as well, if not better. Likely better as it has no preservatives.

The batch I started last week is doing well, it's still in primary, but should be good and dry in a day or three. I use all of the cheapest ingredient I could find, and so far it's tasting pretty good.

Should I save the yeast cake from this pee for my next batch of pee? I'm a little hesitant to do so, because SP doesn't seem like the healthiest medium for growing yeast.

That stuff should work just as well, if not better. Likely better as it has no preservatives.

The batch I started last week is doing well, it's still in primary, but should be good and dry in a day or three. I use all of the cheapest ingredient I could find, and so far it's tasting pretty good.

Should I save the yeast cake from this pee for my next batch of pee? I'm a little hesitant to do so, because SP doesn't seem like the healthiest medium for growing yeast.

I think you could get away with it but...

Man dry yeast is cheap. Is it worth taking the risk? Sure would be if it worked ;)

I think you could get away with it but...

Man dry yeast is cheap. Is it worth taking the risk? Sure would be if it worked ;)

If it did work it would save a lot of time dealing with a starter. I'm thinking of making a 4.5gal batch next, but maybe I'll try a 1gal batch with half of my second generation yeast first.

True - honestly, I think 2-3 uses would be fine. Everyone says yeast use is less than it actually is. Especially for the cost of ingredients, I say it is worth a try. It isn't like you need to spend $50 to brew it.

IF you have never aged Skeeter Pee... how can you say it doesn't improve with age?

I HAVE aged some... for 15 months... and it keeps changing, just like any wine. I like the way it changes with time. The bitterness goes away, and leaves smooth tart lemon flavor.

There is no RUSH to get it in the bottle. Clearing is not necessary, just as it isn't necessary with any wine... unless you can't wait for it to do what it does naturally.

I also prefer not to try and force clearing in my wines. If after 10-12 months there is a haze problem, I will try to solve it.... otherwise... time will take care of it.

If you like it, drink it... if not... age it a while... see how it changes!!

Debbie

I also prefer not to try and force clearing in my wines. If after 10-12 months there is a haze problem, I will try to solve it.... otherwise... time will take care of it.

to piggy back on this (my preference as well); mine cleared in 4-6 weeks I believe - no additives. Crystal clear.

I used L-1118

deb_rn said:
IF you have never aged Skeeter Pee... how can you say it doesn't improve with age?

I HAVE aged some... for 15 months... and it keeps changing, just like any wine. I like the way it changes with time. The bitterness goes away, and leaves smooth tart lemon flavor.

There is no RUSH to get it in the bottle. Clearing is not necessary, just as it isn't necessary with any wine... unless you can't wait for it to do what it does naturally.

If you like it, drink it... if not... age it a while... see how it changes!!

Debbie

My comment on aging came from the skeeter pee website:

Q: Ok… call me an inpatient winemaker……or, perhaps with patio season here, I just really want to drink some Skeeter Pee. My question is: do you find the flavor profile changes or opens up when you leave it in a carboy longer versus adding the sparkolloid earlier and bottling earlier? I’m about three weeks in and getting thirsty.

A: I haven’t done any double-blind studies to see if it noticeably improves with aging. I have had bottles that have aged over winter and I didn’t notice any changes. The way I see it, the small possibility of improvement isn’t worth the lost opportunities. I say; as soon as it’s done fermenting and you’re happy with the clarity, bottle it for drinking.

The original question was about the clarity of finished skeeter pee. My whole point was that if you don't want to use an adjunct to clarify the skeeter pee, then your only option is time. Lon's recipe calls for Sparkloid because in his experience, time does not improve the flavor. If your experience is different, I defer to your expertise.

I believe the original recipe has 2 paths... one for fast clearing and one to clear naturally.

Those comments on the website have been there a while. Skeeter Pee has been around a while, and now, there are lots of variations. Lon has probably had some age as well. I have seen his comments on another forum about how it changes over time.

Everything bottled, changes... sometimes for the better, sometimes not. It all depends on how long it ages and what combination you use.

Drink and be Merry!

:tank:

I bottled mine up today. I first sweetened it with 500 ml of wine conditioner. Then I put it 3 gallons of it in Mason jars (nearly to the top). I figured it was nice for presentation and seeing as it won't last long, I don't have to worry about it being packaged wrong. I warmed it up to 100* before I sealed it, sort of like canning. The rest went into BRIGHT green 375ml wine bottles. Those colors match each other really well. Here it is.

216353_1708653431731_1099921858_31479681_6892435_n.jpg

208351_1708652551709_1099921858_31479680_1296247_n.jpg

Excuse my cork. My corker broke so I had to widdle and hammer it in.

Hrmmm. I made a slightly weaker Skeeter Pee on Sunday (upped the volume but left the sugar and lemon the same) at OG of 1.050 and pitched 3 packets of dry Premier? Champagne yeast, nutrient and energizer. I went to add the 3rd juice and rest of the nutrient/energizer and my Krausen has already fallen (it was 4 inches tall at 16 hours). I'm going to pick up some more sanitizer tonight so I can test the og to see if it's actually finished already.

Are you guys using an open ale pale for this? Or are you throwing the lid and airlock on?

Ale pail to start, with lid set on, not airlock. Once it gets into the 1.020 range I rack to a 6gal carboy and airlock. Then a 5gal to help clear (as it progresses) and degas. proceed with the normal recipe instructions from there.

Hrmmm. I made a slightly weaker Skeeter Pee on Sunday (upped the volume but left the sugar and lemon the same) at OG of 1.050 and pitched 3 packets of dry Premier? Champagne yeast, nutrient and energizer. I went to add the 3rd juice and rest of the nutrient/energizer and my Krausen has already fallen (it was 4 inches tall at 16 hours). I'm going to pick up some more sanitizer tonight so I can test the og to see if it's actually finished already.

I think this is a good idea.

I did 1.070 last time and the ABV is good, but too much. If you have 2 drinks you really shouldn't be driving. Plus you can pound them pretty quick on a hot day.

I too plan to switch my next batch down to 1.055. However, I carbed mine.

I had read on another forum that someone was having luck getting sugar water to start fermenting. Then they would start adding the lemon juice once fermentation had started. Anyone ever tried this?

I through myine in my carboy and airlocked it.

Has someone been drinking their Skeeter Pee? :D :mug:
Seriously though, a glass of Skeeter sounds real nice right now.

I had read on another forum that someone was having luck getting sugar water to start fermenting. Then they would start adding the lemon juice once fermentation had started. Anyone ever tried this?

I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work, as long as nutrient is included with the sugar/water only solution. the Severe nutrient deficiencies would probably cause the yeast to just die the moment the acidic lemon juice was poured into the active must. I think I'm going to give this a try as well, and I'm also going to rehydrate the yeast with Go-Ferm.

Jonas

Has someone been drinking their Skeeter Pee? :D :mug:

Yep... I've only got 1 bottle left of my First batch (besides 2-16oz's that I keep from ALL my batches for aging)

I have 5 gal's (v2.0-dry yeast) I just put in the spakalloid on Thur. I've already seen a MAJOR difference in the clearing compared to (v1.0-Slurry). This should be well cleared. I will try and save my last bottle for comparison when I bottle (v2.0)

My (v3.0-dry yeast) is getting moved to a Carboy today. I'm seeing a different reaction from this batch. I think this one will be Crystal Clear cause of the different juice I used.

Has anyone made a strawberry slurry starter fir the skeeter pee? Wanna make two 5 gallon skeeter pee one regular one strawberry? Not sure how to do it though, help needed!

It's now day three of fermentation for my first batch of skeeter pee. Some of the steps can definitely be cut out of the process. I made my invert sugar, mixed it with water, added nutrient energizer and tannin. I didnt wait for the 24-48hrs to pitch yeast. I also didn't make a starter or rehydrate my yeast. After mixing all the ingredients I just pitched 2 sachet of lavalin 118. The next morning fermentation was bubbling away.

I forgot to follow up on this but I finally got around to testing it tonight and it's finished fermenting. Few more weeks in the bucket and I'll transfer to a secondary to bulk age and clarify. So with 3 dry yeast packets my weaker pee was finished in a matter of days.

I am thinking about doing a weaker one myself, I think I will up the volume and lemon juice, but leave the sugar the same. This one isn't quite as lemon flavored as I would like.

just started a double batch this weekend. didn't take any chances, followed the original recipe pretty much. Had a yeast cake from a apple wine that used EC1118. Throw a extra packet of EC1118 on top added some sugar water and must then let it come back to life for a day before pitching the yeast. That was last night. They both are bubbling nicely this morning. This sounds like it will be a big hit on the house boat this summer.

Has anyone made a strawberry slurry starter fir the skeeter pee? Wanna make two 5 gallon skeeter pee one regular one strawberry? Not sure how to do it though, help needed!

Cjac, Strawberry should work fine. Have you been to skeeterpee.com? The full recipe is there and I'd recommend that you read the F.A.Q. page, it will answer most of your questions. You can also ask specific questions on the website's guestbook or on the Skeeter Pee page in Facebook. Good luck and enjoy.

Just decided to do a little experiment - started two batches, one with Premier Cuvee and one with 1118; will let people know if I have any taste preference out of it. I did lower the SG from 1.070 to 1.056 since I carb the pee. Tired of picking people up off the floor after the pee punches them in the back of the head! :)

Just threw together my first batch of skeeter pee. Like CidahMastah mentioned it seemed to me like the original recipe had a bunch of unnecessary steps. I followed the recipe except I didn't wait the day or so before pitching and I threw in 4 packets of Montrachet dry yeast with no starter and no rehydration. At only 60 cents each I figured it couldn't hurt. It has only been about 12 hours since pitching and the airlock is bubbling like crazy. Next time I'll probably try adding only two or three packets of dry yeast.

I bottled the lazier version I made up about a month ago yesterday morning and tossed a pint in the fridge to have with dinner. It turned out quite good, possibly even better then my first patch. No 'rawness' or off flavours. To be honest you can hardly tell its alcoholic it tastes so much like lemonade.

I month later and this lazy version of the Skeeter from Dry is awesome. I pick up a bottle of this over some of the beers of have just because of how good it worked out.

Once I free up a carboy I am going to make another!

Latest posts

Back